Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Homemade Percussion Caps - First test run

3 posters

Go down

Homemade Percussion Caps - First test run Empty Homemade Percussion Caps - First test run

Post by FrontierGander 12/11/2021, 11:03 am

Alright, first test run of home made percussion caps. Made some as they should be made, then some with super glue over the compound, paper over the compound and the last 2 fail to go off. Just to much cushion.

We still have to experiment with other ways to waterproof and seal the cap. We'll try a thinner paper next time.
I think they are great if they are the only caps available at some point.

I've read info where folks are saying its a mixture of charcoal. It is not, its dark aluminum powder. You can tell this from the color, consistency, and the fact that the cap blast is WHITE, not orange or yellow.

These home made caps are extremely loud and smell like toy cap guns that we grew up on, including the yellow fouling left behind.

I'll have more info as we experiment, but so far, they are a great investment and the volume they put out is amazing.

Im using a CVA Mountain Pistol with the drum screw removed so i can get a good look at things. In time, pictures and videos will follow.
FrontierGander
FrontierGander
Admin

https://bs-bp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Homemade Percussion Caps - First test run Empty Re: Homemade Percussion Caps - First test run

Post by Fyrstyk 13/11/2021, 7:20 am

Try using hair spray to seal and semi water proof the caps. It has worked for me and is much easier to do. Making home made caps is tedious labor intensive work, but worth it if regular percussion caps can not be found. I have been making my own caps now for close to 10 years to use as back ups should I not be able to purchase caps at a reasonable price.

Fyrstyk

T.E. Henry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Homemade Percussion Caps - First test run Empty Re: Homemade Percussion Caps - First test run

Post by FrontierGander 13/12/2021, 6:33 pm

Update
FrontierGander
FrontierGander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontierGander 14/12/2021, 4:47 pm

Inside the bore.
Homemade Percussion Caps - First test run Hm_cap10
FrontierGander
FrontierGander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CVA Fanboy 11/8/2023, 1:19 pm

I got the 22 sharp shooter brand $20 per 2000 caps I aint complaining
CVA Fanboy
CVA Fanboy

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down