Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What have you changed or purchased recently. ...

5 posters

Go down

What have you changed or purchased recently. ... Empty What have you changed or purchased recently. ...

Post by Buck Conner 9/1/2022, 1:31 pm

What have you changed or purchased recently. ... Articl15

SUBJECT: What have you changed or purchased recently. ...

Most of the modern handgun articles seem to be about semi auto handguns, a few on revolvers.

Example: Currently top 10 pistols in the world are these:
  • Nr.1 Glock 17 (Austria) ...
    Nr.2 SIG Sauer P320 (Germany / Switzerland) ...
    Nr.3 Beretta 92 (Italy) ...
    Nr.4 SIG Sauer P226 (Germany / Switzerland) ...
    Nr.5 CZ-75 (Czech Republic) ...
    Nr.6 Smith & Wesson Military & Police (USA) ...
    Nr.7 FN Five Seven (Belgium) ...
    Nr.8 HK USP (Germany)

and so on .....

I have always been a "wheelgun guy" yes old fashion. I have a few semi auto's but have always had several revolvers at hand. My current favorites for years have been Rugers, Smith's and a Colt here and there. Years ago I started changing a few of the calibers around to make life easier on me. Example the revolvers are either chambered in .22LR or 9MM. The late Bill Jordan (the guy that started the Border Patrol, ex. officer, gun fighter, war hero and writer use to hold NRA semiars.

• Bill was born in 1911 in Louisiana, he served for over 30 years with the United States Border Patrol. He also served with the United States Marine Corps Reserve during World War II and the Korean War. He retired from the Marine Reserve as a colonel. Jordan is credited with developing the 'Jordan' or 'Border Patrol' style of holster. The Jordan rig is rigid and unmoving, always holding the gun butt in precisely the same relationship to the gun hand. The revolver's trigger guard is completely exposed, and the gun is held away from the back portion of the holster by a plug of leather, allowing the trigger finger to enter the guard as the draw is begun.

Yes this guy, forgot to mention he taught fast draw skills to Hollywood actors as well as holding classes on shooting skills, that's where my father and myself met this fine gentleman at Prescott AZ.  Mr. Jordan did a demo between "speed loaders" and "full moon clips", he could shoot and reload two moon clips to one reload of a speed loader. That has always been in the back of my mind.

I cleaned out all the loading components that weren't needed along with holsters, speed loaders and anything that wasn't going to be used (made some room in the gun safe) that didn't last long.

That's my story on modern guns for now ...

What have you changed or purchased recently. ...

What have you changed or purchased recently. ... Bottom10

Last edited by Buck Conner on 11/12/2022, 3:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

Needmore Guns and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

What have you changed or purchased recently. ... Empty Re: What have you changed or purchased recently. ...

Post by Hanshi 26/4/2022, 12:53 pm

I'm very old fashioned in my gun preferences. I'm basically a revolver guy but own a few 1911s and a Belgium Browning Highpower. The Highpower is my one and only 9mm; although I also have a Colt .38 Super auto that I had modified back in the 1970s. The only dbl action semi-autos are two Walther PPK/S in .22LR and .380. And a prewar PPK 7.65 mm. My normal carry gun when roaming is a 3-screw Ruger BH in .45 Colt, an old S&W .38 spl M15 or an even older S&W M18 .22LR. On the rare occasions when I carry an auto it will be one of my custom worked 1911s; a Combat Commander .45 acp or it's bigger brother a Government model in the same caliber.
Hanshi
Hanshi

Needmore Guns likes this post

Back to top Go down

What have you changed or purchased recently. ... Empty Re: What have you changed or purchased recently. ...

Post by Hanshi 26/4/2022, 1:02 pm

It has been decades since I last purchased a gun so nothing I own is new.
My two .45 Colts that I've relied on for over 50 years.
What have you changed or purchased recently. ... Digital-Still-Camera
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Hawk 22/7/2022, 1:48 pm

I just got a Mossberg Patriot in .308.  It had the plastic stock so I ordered a wood one from Mossberg.  It was pretty; nice wood with stippling instead of checkering, but the barrel channel was horrendous! Way wide, and then it was a big box shaped under the barrel.  I figured that is a prime place to collect dirt & debris so it went back to Mossberg.  I have one in nutmeg laminate from Boyds on the way now.  No checkering though.

Now to figure out how to get a front sight ramp on this puppy.  t has the fluted barrel with a short section round at the muzzle, but a ramp will still hang over on either side behind that.  Maybe a William's shorty and file down the sides to match the top between the flutes.  Then maybe see if Andy at Skinner Sights can fix me up with one of his peeps, and a Patridge blade front sight..  Right now I have an old 2 1/2 X Weaver on it but I would much rather have iron sights.

Winter Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 24/9/2022, 2:07 pm

What have you changed or purchased recently. ... 51380410

Last edited by Buck Conner on 9/12/2022, 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 24/9/2022, 7:01 pm

What have you changed or purchased recently. ... 1f64a
Mustang65
Mustang65

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 24/9/2022, 7:07 pm

What have you changed or purchased recently. ... 51380410
Mustang65
Mustang65

Buck Conner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 26/9/2022, 10:33 am

All I can tell you, we purchased a Yorkie pup Sunday a week ago. Trying to figure out how to fire it....lol!
Mustang65
Mustang65

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 26/9/2022, 10:44 am

Mustang65 wrote:All I can tell you, we purchased a Yorkie pup Sunday a week ago. Trying to figure out how to fire it....lol!

Reach between its hind legs (you'll find the trigger there), just watch which way you point him ... Rolling Eyes
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Buck Conner, Needmore Guns and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 26/9/2022, 10:48 am

Buck Conner wrote:
Mustang65 wrote:All I can tell you, we purchased a Yorkie pup Sunday a week ago. Trying to figure out how to fire it....lol!

Reach between its hind legs (you'll find the trigger there), just watch which way you point him ...  Rolling Eyes

What have you changed or purchased recently. ... Facebo16
Mustang65
Mustang65

Back to top Go down

Post by Needmore Guns 26/9/2022, 11:36 am

My most recent purchase was a .357 magnum. Ummm….let me be more specific, a Cold Steel .357 magnum blow gun.

Needmore Guns

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 26/9/2022, 11:38 am

What have you changed or purchased recently. ... Th_jfi10

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 11/10/2022, 4:41 pm

The latest firearm change I've made is a .40 X "B" wgt sent off to Bobby Hoyt summer before last. He rebored it - bore sustained damage - to .45 of course. That baby will evermore shoot, I'm telling you. Haven't bought anything this century. I love the .45 acp and have both semi auto and revolver for that round. I have a couple of nice .38 spl revolvers and that along with the .45 acp are the only two calibers I load for in bulk on my Dillon. I favor target level loads and have loaded thousands of them. That's what I like to shoot at the range and in the woods. If I think I might be wise to carry power that's when my BH .45 Colts come in. The .357 may alternate with the Colt gun. Two of my .357 mags have killed a heap of deer over the years and only one shot for each. Now the Ruger .41 & .44 mags have taken their share of venison as well. The longest shot I ever made on a deer was a buck at 90 yards. One shot anchored him and a "coup de grace" shot was made when I finally walked up to him. Along with deer my .22s, .357s, .45 acp and .45 Colt have taken a lot of small game.

I like the 9mm a lot but have little use for it most of the time. The .38 sup is one I like even better than the 9mm. I load for it but haven't hunted with it. I bought that pistol decades ago and had it custom worked/modified. Very accurate and powerful it can have an edge over the 9mm or can be loaded with lead mid range loads for fun.

I also had a Remy 700 special edition I bought about 40 years ago chambered for the .257 R. That rifle killed many deer but I was forced to sell it when we moved to New England going on 5 years ago. I also had to sell one of my precious Savage M99s (a .308) but held onto the M99 .250/3000. I would say more but I need to stop and cry some.
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 11/12/2022, 3:20 pm

Hanshi wrote:.... Savage M99s (a .308) but held onto the M99 .250/3000.  I would say more but I need to stop and cry some ...

I cry every day when I think about all my toys that have gone down that damn road ...  Lots of neat items whether a vehicle, plane, boat, or guns ... sad

What have you changed or purchased recently. ... Buy__s36
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Hanshi and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Needmore Guns 11/12/2022, 4:39 pm

Buck Conner wrote:

I cry every day when I think about all my toys that have gone down that damn road ...  Lots of neat items whether a vehicle, plane, boat, or guns ... sad

Ditto on that ‘cept I never had a boat nor plane. I find myself drooling over ‘55 and ‘56 Fords on Facebook. I had owned both years back in my youth.

Needmore Guns

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 12/12/2022, 8:17 am

Between the toys and some of the properties we have owned and sold cheap when compared to the asking prices today. WOW

What have you changed or purchased recently. ... Masonv11

What have you changed or purchased recently. ... Masonv12

Talked to the realtor asking, "how much are one of the 35 acres parcel going for?"  

Get this, Prime elf, deer and bear country yours for 5.2 Million BUCKS $$$.

I know what these parcels were bought for 40 years ago, you could have bought the whole parcel of 10 units for a quarter of today's price for one .!@#$%

What have you changed or purchased recently. ... Hardti13
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 12/12/2022, 8:50 am

Two things my friends:
1.) On the way home the other day, not 2 miles from the house, a herd of over 100 elk along the arroyo. Have seen elk pass by the house many times, and deer almost daily.
2.) In this day and age, you never discuss firearms as to what you have, how many, and what you just bought, store bought or not.
Mustang65
Mustang65

Winter Hawk and Hanshi like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 12/12/2022, 12:32 pm

Mustang65 wrote: 2.) In this day and age, you never discuss firearms as to what you have, how many, and what you just bought, store bought or not.

Isn't this the truth, you never know who's watching and making notes about you and what you have. Biggest problem we all like to brag about what we have ...  Neutral

What have you changed or purchased recently. ... Hardti14
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Hawk 22/12/2022, 6:33 pm

And on that note, I traded the Mossberg for a Traditions Shenandoah. Nice rifle. The wife saw it and now it's a wall hanger in the living room....

Still have the Winchester 88 in .308, will probably hang on to that until I'm pushing up daisies.

~Kees~

Last edited by Winter Hawk on 10/1/2023, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Winter Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 23/12/2022, 11:45 am

Winter Hawk wrote:And on that note, I traded the Mossberg for a Traditions Shenandoah. Nice rifle. The wife saw it and now it's a wall hanger in the living room....

Still have the Winchester 88 in .308, will probably hang on to that until I'm pushing up daisies.

~Kees~

~Kees~

Kees, that's the way I feel about my old M99 .250/3000.
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 28/12/2022, 11:39 am

Winter Hawk wrote:Still have the Winchester 88 in .308, will probably hang on to that until I'm pushing up daisies.

~Kees~

~Kees~

I saw the ad for the then new Winchester Model 88 advertised in American Rifleman, went to our local hardware store and placed an order. It took almost 6 months for it to arrive, - two-digit serial number, the store owner tried to add an addition $20.00 to the price. I saw my father's friend (Chief of the Police Department) next door at the feed store,  Walked over and asked the Chief if the store owner could jack the price up. We went back to the hardware store, and I gave the chief my receipt with the amount paid six months before. I guess the store owner can do that, but I didn't know this - hell I'm a 15-year-old kid. They talked for a short time when the Chief asked if I going to the Boys' Club that evening, I answered YES - I need to tell everyone how I'm screwed over on this rifle.

Long story short, I take the rifle home that afternoon for the original advertised selling price plus a box of Winchester Silver Tips (308 caliber 165 grains).

I'm like Kees, gun is still in the family and still kills the usual White Tail every year since 1955.

What have you changed or purchased recently. ... Win-mo10

What have you changed or purchased recently. ... Skills13

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 28/12/2022, 1:49 pm

The oldest centerfire rifle I still have is a Ruger M77 250/3000 that I bought at the LGS for just a little over $100. After shooting and hunting with this rifle I was mighty tempted to buy an identical one at the store. This was 1975, IIRC. A few years later I bought an M99 Sav. 250/3000. The .250 is my very favorite rifle cartridge and kills deer like you wouldn't believe. No recoil - recoil doesn't bother me much - which makes it very friendly to the timid shooter. That Ruger has fired many groups under 1" with the smallest I can recall beingabout 1/4" for 5 shots. The M99 is superbly accurate but not quite as accurate as the Ruger. I'm not good enough at math to even begin to count up the deer these two rifles have dropped.
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum