Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Mexico bans scoped muzzleloaders

5 posters

Go down

New Mexico bans scoped muzzleloaders Empty New Mexico bans scoped muzzleloaders

Post by FrontierGander 16/10/2022, 5:02 pm

With the modern inline companies touting 500-600 and even 800 yard shots at game, New Mexico pulls the plug on scoped muzzleloaders.

https://nmwildlife.org/nm-state-game-commission-bans-scopes-on-muzzleloaders/
FrontierGander
FrontierGander
Admin

https://bs-bp.forumotion.com

Needmore Guns and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

New Mexico bans scoped muzzleloaders Empty Re: New Mexico bans scoped muzzleloaders

Post by Winter Hawk 21/10/2022, 8:06 am

That's good news! Now as the lady said, if they would ban the use of high-tech bows (& crossbows) during archery season....

Wish Ohio would follow suit!

~Kees~

Winter Hawk

Tenasaw likes this post

Back to top Go down

New Mexico bans scoped muzzleloaders Empty Re: New Mexico bans scoped muzzleloaders

Post by J Young GS 1/11/2022, 2:05 pm

What is wrong with a crossbow? It allows someone who can't pull a bow to hunt. It is a bow. Just because you like the bow dosen't make it the right thing to hunt with. Sore subject with me. Do you use a standard bow, recurve, or compound? The last two give you an advantage over the standard long bow. Maybe they should be outlawed as they are not real bows. I have a friend that lost both hands in Nam that has hunted for years with the crossbow even when he had to get a pass by the Ohio DNR! How does the use of a crossbow lessen you enjoyment using a standard bow, recurve, or compound bow?

J Young GS

Tenasaw, Needmore Guns and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Hawk 6/11/2022, 7:36 pm

Nothing "wrong" with a crossbow.  Wilhelm Tell used one to shoot the apple off his son's head.  I also have friends who have disabilities where they use a crossbow, and for those reasons there should be permit available for those people.  But bow hunting seasons came into being after archers worked hard to get them because it takes much more skill and training to get close enough to kill a deer with traditional equipment.  I have seen instances of taking extreme distance shots with a crossbow as well as a compound.  That is NOT what archery seasons were set up for.  It's the same argument for traditional muzzle loading.

Recurves were in use by the Native Americans before Columbus; the bows the Mongol warriors used were recurves, and the history of that bow goes back many years before Genghis Khan.  To say that a recurve gives an advantage over a longbow, Howard Hill was asked why he didn't use one and he said he wasn't good enough to shoot a recurve.  I shoot both a longbow and a recurve and certainly do not have any advantage when i use the later.

That's my viewpoint, and I'm sticking with it!

~Kees~

Last edited by Winter Hawk on 15/11/2022, 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Winter Hawk

Needmore Guns and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 7/11/2022, 8:57 am

Agreed! It take a lot more skill to use a long, re-curve, or compound bow, than a cross bow!! With a long, re-curve or compound bow, it takes skill to hold that amount of bow string weight on point. Where as with a cross bow it's just a matter of throwing it to your shoulder and aim, just like a rifle, and with a scope a definite unfair advantage to the typical bow hunter.
However, for the disabled, there should be available the use of a crossbow, NO SCOPE!
Mustang65
Mustang65

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Tenasaw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by J Young GS 7/11/2022, 11:39 am

I can agree with no scope but take the sights off the bows also. A cross bow allows my young grandkids to hunt that can't pull a legal bow.

J Young GS

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 7/11/2022, 1:03 pm

J Young GS wrote:I can agree with no scope but take the sights off the bows also.  A cross bow allows my young grandkids to hunt that can't pull a legal bow.
There really are no sights on a conventional or compound bow. BTW: There are bows made for children with very low pull weights. Bought one for my grandson a few years ago. You seriously seem to be grasping at straws. I have no clue about other states, however, in Colorado a scope is allowed on muzzleloaders for those with a sight disability and have a document stating so from the doctor. Crossbows are legal during rifle season.
Mustang65
Mustang65

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 14/11/2022, 10:05 am

Mustang65 wrote:I have no clue about other states, however, in Colorado a scope is allowed on muzzleloaders for those with a sight disability and have a document stating so from the doctor. Crossbows are legal during rifle season.

Stan you couldn't hit a dairy cow in the butt with a baseball bat .....  Rolling Eyes

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 15/11/2022, 9:36 am

Buck Conner wrote:
Mustang65 wrote:I have no clue about other states, however, in Colorado a scope is allowed on muzzleloaders for those with a sight disability and have a document stating so from the doctor. Crossbows are legal during rifle season.

Stan you couldn't hit a dairy cow in the butt with a baseball bat .....  Rolling Eyes

New Mexico bans scoped muzzleloaders Facebo17
Mustang65
Mustang65

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Hawk 15/11/2022, 5:50 pm

YOU HAVE SOMETHING AGAINST COWS???

Winter Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 16/11/2022, 9:00 am

I like Jersey breed the best, sweet manner ...

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Hawk 18/11/2022, 8:45 am

Ah yes, Elsie the Borden Cow, and Elmer the bull....

Winter Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 18/11/2022, 8:58 am

We had an Elsie for years when growing up, my job was feeding her and making sure she had clean quarters and water. She was always wanting attention and her ears rubbed ... Smile
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Winter Hawk and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down