Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just out shootin' at em"

3 posters

Go down

Just out shootin' at em" Empty Just out shootin' at em"

Post by Mofish 1/7/2021, 7:02 pm

I kinda have this thing about hog hunting....but in my part of the country it's pretty common. This one was my 800th hog from the main property I like to hunt on. I nailed it with a .40 PRB, using 30 Gr. of 3f.
Just out shootin' at em" NOpltYDl

Mofish

FrontierGander, Winter Hawk, Powderburn, Hanshi and Buck Conner like this post

Back to top Go down

Just out shootin' at em" Empty Re: Just out shootin' at em"

Post by Powderburn 2/7/2021, 7:32 am

Thats really cool....

Powderburn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 7/7/2021, 1:24 pm

Mofish, you obviously do not know that hogs can not be killed with a pistol or a .40 caliber ball even if fired from a rifle.  Pundits tell us a .54 rifle is minimum with a .58 barely making it into the adequate range.  affraid

But we know better and that was a great kill.  Did you enjoy the porkchops?  You are definitely da hog man!
YOU DID GOOD!
Just out shootin' at em" Download-38
Hanshi
Hanshi

Mofish likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 7/7/2021, 1:54 pm

Just tried to post photos here but no dice.
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 10/7/2021, 1:53 pm

Hanshi wrote:Just tried to post photos here but no dice.

Finally some dice! sunny
Just out shootin' at em" Download-44
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mofish 16/7/2021, 8:43 am

Hanshi wrote:Mofish, you obviously do not know that hogs can not be killed with a pistol or a .40 caliber ball even if fired from a rifle.  Pundits tell us a .54 rifle is minimum with a .58 barely making it into the adequate range.  affraid

But we know better and that was a great kill.  Did you enjoy the porkchops?  You are definitely da hog man!
YOU DID GOOD!
Just out shootin' at em" Download-38
I gave up eating the hogs some time back, but still give them away when I have someone that will accept them unprocessed. I spent years hauling frozen hind legs to a muzzleloading shoot once a month. Lots of the guys really liked them. Unfortunately my strength and health is waning away pretty bad right now and I'm trying to get doctors to figure out why, so I just feed the hogs to the buzzard, coyotes, etc.....I have lots of them out there and I can leave a 200 lb. hog out there, and it's gone by the next morning.
I have shot hogs with all kinds of guns and calibers and they all seem to work if you hit the right areas. With smaller calibers, I try to hit them in the neck or head area and they usually drop right down from the shock. With larger rifle calibers I like to go for the center of the front leg with the hog standing sideways in front of me.
I have a .62 smoothbore flint pistol I have been trying to put to work on a hog, but they have sort of disappeared lately. No doubt they will be back eventually !!

Mofish

Hanshi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 16/7/2021, 10:40 am

Years ago there was a guy on another forum who routinely killed hogs with a .32. But IIRC he targeted young ones not much over 100 lbs or so.
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mofish 16/7/2021, 4:53 pm

With those smaller calibers, they will work just fine as long as you shoot them forward of the shoulders. You can put a large caliber through the lungs and have to follow them for quite a while before they give it up.

Mofish

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 17/7/2021, 9:10 am

Just me, but I'd want something a bit larger than a .32.  Just out shootin' at em" 1f636
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum