Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest Donation ...

5 posters

Go down

Latest Donation ... Empty Latest Donation ...

Post by Buck Conner 27/11/2023, 2:07 pm

SUBJECT: Latest Donation ...

Here's the latest donation made to The Musem Of The Mountain Man in Pinedale WY.  Had to stop and think which fur trade museum this donation went to (we supply several of them some of our wares: Musem Of The Mountain Man, Musem Of The Fur Trade, and several local museums. You hate to see your toys leave home but at my age that time has come.

This donation is an orignal H.E. Leman built around 1850 as a flinter and later converted to percussion. Read the article in the Fall Issue 2023 of The Tomahawk & Long Rifle magazine (AMM Publication).
Latest Donation ... Tlr10

Latest Donation ... Tlr_pa12

Latest Donation ... Tlr_pa11

Latest Donation ... Tlr_pa10

My wife was the one that got me to thinking about some of my collections (several - Native America to the American Civil War), "Only you and a few friends see your wares" "Why not let anyone interested see these items, donate them to various museums and everyone can enjoy your finds".  The more i thought about this and talked to friends like "Uffda" it made good sense ...

My wife and yours truly try to support our & your hobby with donations of different items. Anything from period original items like: cast iron ware, China dishes and serving wares to mounatin man wears like Mariano Medina's leather breeches, a butcher knife and an part of old fancy shirt found at Medina's stables along with misc. fire strikers also found in the area west of Lovelend CO. This was abeehive of activitey during the fur trade with many of the characters we read about today hanging out at Marion's fort west of this town.

• My first knowledge of this Mexican Mountain Man came from the book Crow Killer, which is a highly unreliable compendium of fact and legend about John “Liver-Eatin”” Johnson. That book is such a tangled mess of fact/fiction/folklore that it’s impossible to know what’s authentic. Was Mariano a deadly friend of the Crow Killer? Maybe. What we do know is that he was a real-deal Mountain Man, a pioneer and an entrepreneur, a pipe-smoker and the owner of one very fine Hawken Rifle.

That said, one of our current donations for 2023 is an H.E. Leman Trade Rifle shown above.

[center]Latest Donation ... Smoke-13

Last edited by Buck Conner on 21/12/2023, 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

Hanshi, uffda and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Latest Donation ... Empty Re: Latest Donation ...

Post by Winter Hawk 1/12/2023, 2:05 pm

Good on you, Buck! I don't have any American historical stuff, but I just made a donation to the Burke Museum in Seattle of my mother's sewing cabinet which she got as a wedding gift in 1941. That was in, what was then the Dutch East Indies, now Indonesia. It was hand carved by a native, really lovely work. The museum was happy to get it although it was damaged by UPS going from Ohio to Seattle. That after it had gone through internment when the Japanese invaded and all the Dutch were in concentration camps, then shipping from Indonesia to Hawaii, from Hawaii to Oregon and finally to Ohio, all without being damaged. We also donated some batik sarongs of my mother about 10 years ago. Those were hand made on Bali, again before WW-2.

Winter Hawk

Hanshi, uffda and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 2/12/2023, 8:03 am

Hey Winter Hawk, a donation to a museum is a good thing, now others can enjoy looking at that donation.  

Latest Donation ... Smoke-12

Last edited by Buck Conner on 21/12/2023, 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

uffda and bbc like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 15/12/2023, 2:12 pm

I tried to donate a historical item or two but they wanted ME DONATED as an antique.
Hanshi
Hanshi

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 21/12/2023, 10:15 am

Hanshi wrote:I tried to donate a historical item or two but they wanted ME DONATED as an antique.

I get the same replies from old friends younger than me ... !!@#$%^

Latest Donation ... Smoke-11

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by bbc 24/3/2024, 12:14 pm

Buck Conner wrote:.

Hey Winter Hawk, a donation to a museum is a good thing, now others can enjoy looking at that donation.  

I need to look around and do the same, thanks for the reminder Buck.

Latest Donation ... Manyna21
bbc
bbc

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 24/3/2024, 7:18 pm

Buck Conner wrote:.

SUBJECT: Latest Donation ...

Here's the latest donation made to The Museum Of The Mountain Man in Pinedale WY.  You hate to see your toys leave home but at my age that time has come.

Found more small fur trade items that I need to write up and then donate, just need to have all my ducks in a row so the IRS is happy with the donations. Sometimes its more paperwork than what your efforts are worth ...

Latest Donation ... Sign-o46
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by bbc 25/3/2024, 9:00 am

Hanshi wrote:I tried to donate a historical item or two but they wanted ME DONATED as an antique.

From what Stan and Buck said about you that's understandable Hanshi ...   I guess "old is old no matter what it is or looks like" ...

Latest Donation ... Manyna24
bbc
bbc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 25/3/2024, 10:02 am

I may have spoken too soon about that.  I wanted my body left to medical science by donating my body to the Medical School in Augusta Georgia.  Just received a letter that said I didn't meet their minimum standards as a cadaver.

But I did get a phone call from a dogfood company and was told they'd be happy to accept my donation.  Maybe I can at least keep some puppies happy.
Latest Donation ... Evil-chihuahua-looks-into-camera-260nw-1148030708
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 25/3/2024, 11:16 am

Hanshi wrote:I may have spoken too soon about that.  I wanted my body left to medical science by donating my body to the Medical School in Augusta Georgia.  Just received a letter that said I didn't meet their minimum standards as a cadaver.

But I did get a phone call from a dogfood company and was told they'd be happy to accept my donation.  Maybe I can at least keep some puppies happy.

Hanshi, you definitely have a great sense of humor! affraid lol!
Mustang65
Mustang65

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bbc 25/3/2024, 6:30 pm

Hanshi wrote:But I did get a phone call from a dogfood company and was told they'd be happy to accept my donation.  Maybe I can at least keep some puppies happy.

Don't forget to take out your store boughs before going that route ...  teeth

Latest Donation ... Manyna25
bbc
bbc

Hanshi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 26/3/2024, 9:07 am

No store boughts (might be eventually) but the tooth situation is no less precarious.  I have osteoporosis (I take meds that are known to cause it) which affects that problem.  BUT!  I was told in my 20's by dental surgeons that I'd lose my teeth by my 40's.  Well, I'm 77 and feel I can claim victory on that one thing.  I quit boxing in my mid-late 40's and that eliminates one, ahem! risk.  Actually I only lost one tooth during my fights but it was an old crown.   king

I once read about an African village kept in terror by a lion that ate at least three villagers.  Later when the lion was killed it was found to be an old female that had lost near all her teeth.  That lady had successfully "gummed" at least three people and maybe other's uncounted to death and had eaten them. cheers cheers
Hanshi
Hanshi

Buck Conner and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 26/3/2024, 11:37 am

Good for her, that kept the troops in line and on their toes ...

Latest Donation ... Good_s11
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Hanshi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 26/3/2024, 1:35 pm

Don't forget the, admittedly modest, population control she accomplished. albino
Hanshi
Hanshi

Winter Hawk, Mustang65 and bbc like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down