Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dixie gun works 50 year old dueling pistol kit

2 posters

Go down

Dixie gun works 50 year old dueling pistol kit Empty Dixie gun works 50 year old dueling pistol kit

Post by Muzzlestuffer 9/2/2024, 5:13 am

I picked this kit up on one of the forums and built it I think it came out pretty well. Haven't shot it yet and even if I wanted to I can't because I sent it to Bobby Hoyt to rework the barrel it started out as a 44 cal but I wanted it to be a .50 but the only snag is the two screw holes in the bottom of the barrel are so deep that he said if he put rifling in it the grooves would cut into the holes so it's going to be a smooth bore now but until he's finished the diameter is a mystery I'm pretty sure it will be about a .490-495 ball with a yet to be determined patch hopefully a linen patch. The real reason I sent it to him was I was looking to lighten up the muzzle a bit and make it easy to load on trail walks no loading stand use. This is also my first flint gun so this should be interesting to say the least but it will be the companion for my new .58 flint trade rifle Ron Paull is building for me at the moment hopefully it will be in my hands in the next month or so and let me tell ya that I feel like a 7 year old waiting for Santa to come down the chimney !!

Muzzlestuffer

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Dixie gun works 50 year old dueling pistol kit Empty Re: Dixie gun works 50 year old dueling pistol kit

Post by Muzzlestuffer 9/2/2024, 5:16 am

Dixie gun works 50 year old dueling pistol kit Img_0410

Muzzlestuffer

uffda and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Dixie gun works 50 year old dueling pistol kit Empty Re: Dixie gun works 50 year old dueling pistol kit

Post by Muzzlestuffer 9/2/2024, 5:18 am

Dixie gun works 50 year old dueling pistol kit Img_0412
Dixie gun works 50 year old dueling pistol kit Img_0411

Muzzlestuffer

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzzlestuffer 9/2/2024, 5:31 am

Dixie gun works 50 year old dueling pistol kit Duelin10
Dixie gun works 50 year old dueling pistol kit Duelin11
Dixie gun works 50 year old dueling pistol kit Duelin12

Muzzlestuffer

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzzlestuffer 9/2/2024, 5:34 am

As the pictures show it was a lot of work getting all the castings and wood shaped and fitted but came out pretty decent, the wood is especially nice I just used some boiled linseed oil no stain.

Muzzlestuffer

Back to top Go down

Post by uffda 15/2/2024, 2:04 pm

Great find, and nicely finished.
uffda
uffda

Muzzlestuffer and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzzlestuffer 15/2/2024, 3:39 pm

Just got the barrel back from Bobby Hoyt it is now a 45 cal smooth bore should make a nice trail walk easy loading gun just what I wanted !

Muzzlestuffer

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzzlestuffer 30/3/2024, 12:17 pm

I may try my hand at a little engraving on the side plate ? I wouldn't mind a belt clip either ? Or just leave it as is ?

Muzzlestuffer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down