Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build

+2
Mustang65
FrontierGander
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 2 Empty Re: Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build

Post by Jcast 6/4/2024, 4:56 pm

I will try the pinch and stippling first! Thank you for the guidance! Barrel Blueing & Brass darkening tomorrow!

Jcast

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 2 Empty Re: Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build

Post by Hanshi 7/4/2024, 3:15 pm

We expect more photos of course. It should look really fine by the time you finish it. Did you happen to post the caliber of the rifle or did I miss it? Those kits make really nice rifles; I'd like to build one of the kits some day in .54. I don't really need one but what's "need" got to do with it.
Hanshi
Hanshi

Mustang65 and Jcast like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 7/4/2024, 3:22 pm

So Close today! Degrease, solvent wipe down, JAX brass darkener - all brass, metal parts and the barrel - 2 coats. Thoughts - the brass took the Jax unevenly, followed rinse directions, dry then used a 0000 scotchbrite w/WD40 to even the color out. Brass looking aged/antique. Barrel - uneven take up so did a 2nd coat - rubbed back w/WD40. Looks nice however I will go ahead and do a 3rd treatment tomorrow evening.

Winterhawk - I peened the front sight tenon on the bottom and it worked like a charm.

Ready to wrap this up and do a reveal early this coming week!

Pics from todays journey follow....

Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 2 Johnso13
Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 2 Darken12

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 7/4/2024, 3:25 pm

Hanshi - The kit is a .50 Caliber - I have round ball molds for .45 & .50 cal - so I started with the .50 cal.

I will do a 3rd coat tomorrow evening and let it set for a longer period then rub it back 0000. The Barrel tang and the cast peep sight took the JAX very well and look amazing/dark.

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 7/4/2024, 3:30 pm

This pic is for Winterhawk - peened front sight blade after filing it just a tad too much yesterday. Will mount the front sight early this week once I do the final coat of bluing. Notice my $9.00 cheapie hickory ball peen hammer - I scraped the varnish off and stained it the same as my rifle stock to see how it would look and out comes the most beautiful tiger stripe hickory-

Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 2 Peened10

Jcast

Hanshi and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 8/4/2024, 10:28 am

The darkening of brass can be done using B.C. Perma Blue.  I used it on a couple of rifles and the brass now looks like iron.  It's not perfect and a close, detailed look will reveal some undarkened spots though one has to look closely.  Wear of the finish is about the same as that of Brass Black.  Touch-up is quick and easy if needed and so far my SMR hasn't needed it.

AFTER Perma Blue application TOP PHOTO.
Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 2 DSC00402

Before Perma Blue was used below.
Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 2 DSC00190
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 8/4/2024, 12:19 pm

Thank you Hanshi! I will add this to my list to explore.

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 9/4/2024, 2:54 pm

Well I gave the JAX barrel treatment one more try last night. Degreased, wiped down with acetone, applied the JAX a different more controlled way using makeup pads. Let it set 10 minutes, rinsed well, stopped the reaction with WD40. Wiped down after a couple hours and oiled heavily overnight. Wiped it down this morning and put her together to see what we have!

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 9/4/2024, 2:55 pm

Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 2 Pic_510
Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 2 Pic_411

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 9/4/2024, 2:56 pm

She is gray and a nice patina. Not perfect but attractive. A little dark around the bolster but the rest is pretty nice for my first go!

I learned a ton and looking forward to the next one.

Here you go!

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 9/4/2024, 2:58 pm

Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 2 Pic_810
Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 2 Pic_110
Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 2 Pic_210

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 9/4/2024, 3:05 pm

Thank you to everyone on this forum for your advice, tips and encouragement. Jonathon thank you for the inspiration and demonstrating your builds on YouTube. I hope I did this one justice.

There are many like it, but this baby is mine and I couldn't be happier.

It will be a few weeks before I will be able to get out in the field and fire/sight in! I'll keep you all posted.

all for now - Jcast

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontierGander 9/4/2024, 4:05 pm

Looks damn good!! Can't wait to see your first range report!
FrontierGander
FrontierGander
Admin

https://bs-bp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 9/4/2024, 4:52 pm

For a first timer, that was a great job. Like Jonathan said, it looks damned good.
Mustang65
Mustang65

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Jcast likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 12/4/2024, 7:45 pm

A few more finished pics taken to today to see if I could capture the Rusty Walnut - Red.
Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 2 Pic_1510
Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 2 Pic_1210
Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 2 Pic_1310

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 13/4/2024, 7:55 am

Jcast wrote:A few more finished pics taken to today to see if I could capture the Rusty Walnut - Red.
Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 2 Pic_1510
Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 2 Pic_1210
Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 2 Pic_1310

It's looking real good my friend.
Mustang65
Mustang65

Hanshi and Jcast like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 13/4/2024, 8:12 am

Hey, I like it! I love that stock color and have a rifle with an even redder stock. Great job and very precisely fitted & finished.
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 13/4/2024, 8:58 am

Thank you Gentlemen. Your comments mean a lot. This rifle project purpose is to start a legacy for my daughters (3) who all hunt . My Dad has dementia and sold all his TC Hawken’s to an unscrupulous antique dealer vs passing on. I plan to build one for each and now I’ve been bitten by the bug I’m already jonesing for the next build! I guess there are worse things…….haha!

All for now - Jcast

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 13/4/2024, 9:09 am

Jcast wrote:Thank you Gentlemen. Your comments mean a lot. This rifle project purpose is to start a legacy for my daughters (3) who all hunt . My Dad has dementia and sold all his TC Hawken’s to an unscrupulous antique dealer vs passing on. I plan to build one for each and now I’ve been bitten by the bug I’m already jonesing for the next build! I guess there are worse things…….haha!

All for now - Jcast

Sorry about some really unscrupulous people in this world.
However, it's a good bug to be bitten by:-)
Love the fact that the girls hunt and the legacy you are starting. cheers
Mustang65
Mustang65

Jcast likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 13/4/2024, 1:41 pm

Well, there are worse things you could be doing but we won't go there Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 2 1f60e. Like I told my wife it'll keep you off the streets.
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Hawk 17/4/2024, 2:33 am

That turned out right nice! Hope to see more of your "work" ( it really looks more like play from all the enjoyment you are getting out of it).

~Kees~

Winter Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 17/4/2024, 6:03 am

I did really enjoy the build and learning new skills! Planning my next build now. Trying to decide between a Traditions Mountain Rifle or the Investarms GEMMER kit. I see knife & Tomahawk making in my future. LOL a 62 year old kid has gotta dream, right?

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 22/4/2024, 7:52 am

The .50 Cal kit is coming together. Just missing #11 Caps and 3F Goex Powder - (at my daughters in Georgia) waiting on a road trip in between busy work weeks!
Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 2 Kit_110

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 23/4/2024, 9:12 am

Thought I would share a recent realization - RUST IN THE BARREL! This past weekend I was tidying up and a glimpse into the end of the muzzle indicated a fair amount of rust in the rifling grooves. Scrubbing with bore cleaner did nothing to remove. I did some research and headed off for an auto parts store for a quart of EvapoRust - rust remover. Prepped the barrel removing oil with brake cleaner, dry swabbed, teflon taped the nipple and a nipple cover, clamped the barrel vertically and filled with EvapoRust. I left it 24 hours, covered to prevent evaporation. Last night emptied the barrel, flushed with hot water. Ran cleaning pads with the jag - holy crap!
Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 2 Rust_r10
Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 2 Rust_m10

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 23/4/2024, 9:13 am

The barrel is pristine clean now, oiled for storage until I can get out to shoot! This stuff worked very well!

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next