Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting Sick While In Camp

Go down

Getting Sick While In Camp Empty Getting Sick While In Camp

Post by Buck Conner 21/6/2024, 12:02 pm

Getting Sick While In Camp

Here's some information that may be handy when on the trail or at an encampment, always taken care of yourself and those around you.

LYME DISEASE

Lyme disease is transmitted by the bite of the deer tick, which may be carried by field mice, deer, and other wild animals. Woodys areas, marshy areas, and areas with high grass and brush are prime breeding places for the tick.

One misconception about Lyme disease is that it is confined primarily to the Northeast. However cases have been reported in nearly every state. The areas where the most cases have been reported are in Wisconsin and Minnesota in the Midwest, California and Oregon on the West Coast. Lyme disease should be taken seriously in all regions of the country.

Lyme disease can be serious, but it is almost never fatal. If treated promptly, before you experience joint inflammation, the diseaes can be cleared up completely with antibiotics.

The most recognizable sign of Lyme disease is a slowly expanding skin rash at the site of the tick bite. Other symptoms include fatigue, fever, headaches, stiff neck, and muscle and joint aches. These symptoms, which can last for several weeks, may resemble those of flu.

Good news is, new studies suggest that doctors are overreacting to their fears that a tick bite will lead to Lyme disease.

In places where Lyme disease is present, only 1% to 4% of the people bitten by ticks get the disease. But those who go to a doctor after a tick bite, 95% have blood tests and 55% are given antibiotics.

"If I were to find a tick that had been on me for a few hours, I'd remove it and do nothing more," says Alan Fix, MD. "If a tick has been attached for three days, that is where Lyme disease comes from."

Remember the best approach: watch and wait, look for early warning signs of the disease, a rash around the bite and flu-like symptoms. Then call your doctor.

Note: another example of unnecessary antibiotic use, which is causing antibiotic resistance.

New studies suggest that doctors are overreacting to their fears that a tick bite will lead to Lyme disease.

In places where Lyme disease is present, only 1% to 4% of the people bitten by ticks get the disease. But those who go to a doctor after a tick bite, 95% have blood tests and 55% are given antibiotics.

"If I were to find a tick that had been on me for a few hours, I'd remove it and do nothing more," says Alan Fix, MD.

"If a tick has been attached for three days, that is where Lyme disease comes from."
Best approach: watch and wait, look for early warning signs of the disease, a rash around the bite and flu-like symptoms. Then call your doctor.

Note: another example of unnecessary antibiotic use, which is causing antibiotic resistance.

A FEW TRICK USED IN THIS SPORT FOR FOOT PAIN

Many foot problems can be treated while in camp, some when on the trail with a little common sense, simple treatments and camp rest could keep you from retreating home. But always remember if the problem does not show improvement within a few days, you should concider seeing a doctor.

There's always another camp and common sense should say when to hang it up, it may be the difference between being krippled and healing up for another trip. You will note that most problems listed are of our own doing, poor fitting or wrong sized footwear.

MORTON'S NEUROMA; intense pain usually caused by tight-fitting shoes that squeeze the nerves between the bones, causing the nerves to swell. There may also be numbness between the toes.

Use footwear that have plenty of room around the ball of the foot. Take aspirin or another pain reliever as directed for a few days to a week while in camp. I have taken deer or elk mocs, put two pair of heavy socks on , walked in a near-by stream until soaked, then wear them dry. Takes a good day for drying, put them in my bed roll at night to keep them from getting to stiff. The next morning use one pair of socks or barefooted when in camp, this seems to help with the numbness in short order and the sole of your foot is still protected.

BUNION; when looking at your bare foot, if your big toe points toward your other four toes, the end of the bone behind your big toe may rub against your shoe. The skin thickens over this bone, and the bone itself may develop a bony spur - which is called a "bunion".

Place a small amount of cloth between your big toe and your second toe so that your big toe becomes aligned with the other toes, (several cleaning patches work very nicely). The same padding around the bunion may help relieve pressure. Use the method as described for Morton's neuroma for sizing an old pair of camp mocs. By the way I always carry an old pair of used mocs for camp; lets the trail footwear cool out and your feet do the same, plus I then have them for use as mentioned in foot care in camp, (deerskin mocs weight next to nothing and take very little room in your gear).
As soon as returning home see your doctor, as an inflamed bunion may need a cortisone injection to provide relief, if to much out of alignment surgery may be needed.

CORNS & CALLUSES; usually caused by ill-fitting shoes and a friction or rubbing action happens.

Corns are usually found on top of the toes or arch. they appear as lumps of thickened skin that may either be hard, with a clear core, or soft and moist.

Calluses are thickened skin found across the heel and on the ball of the foot.
Make sure your footwear fits properly; wear your camp moc's and pad your foot as mentioned before while taking it easy in camp. When you return home "corn plasters" may give you relief, they contain 40% salicylic acid, available without prescription, are very effective. Follow the directions on the packaging, if condition continues see your doctor.

PLANTAR WARTS; often found on the ball of the foot, are caused by a virus, not by friction that many claim. You'll see small, black dots within the warts.

Again good footwear and corn plasters can help, but you will need to see your doctor. Not really a good camp treatment other than wearing comfortable shoes and do not go barefooted as you can pass this virus to others.

Doctors can use cold liquid nitrogen, heat electrocoagulation, or surgey to remove a plantar wart; unfortunately, they often recur.

METATARSAL STRESS FRACTURE; unaccustomed, strenuous use of the feet can crack the long metatarsal bones in the foot. The pain usually comes on gradually, and it gets worse with continued activity.

Unusual but can happen, your laid up with giving your feet a rest for a few days to a week or more. Crutches may be in order for a period of time, and could last as long as six weeks or longer. A cast should be avoided if at all possible; it will not reduce the healing time and may create other problems.

Getting Sick While In Camp Pictur32

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

Back to top Go down