Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

G - GETTING STARTED

Go down

G - GETTING STARTED Empty G - GETTING STARTED

Post by Buck Conner 9/9/2024, 6:21 pm

G - GETTING STARTED

We'll start you off with a little background on us and our experiences in this business of muzzle loading. But first we will share some of our interests.

G - GETTING STARTED Societ35

I've changed what was going on for the time period when still running a store, and some of the things going on in our lives living this life style ~ primitive living. Between working at my regular job as a Sr. Telcom Engineer 75 miles away (drove that distance morning and night). Getting home around 5:30-6 PM, changing clothes and going to the store (100 yards from my house) so my friend Ben Thompson could take care of his needs at his house a 1/2 mile down the road.

There was always a group of guys in the store or up on the hill at our shooting range shooting  muzzleloaders. We were busy 7 days a week year around, just changed footwear in winter ~ shoot ~ shoot ~ shoot ... no time to do anything else if we had wanted too, but that's the way we were in those days.

Store hours were 9AM to 7PM during the week (usually got closed around 6 - 6:30PM on weekends). When you enjoy something with what your doing time flies ... Boy is that an unstated.

So you can see how one can get hooked on an early lifestyle, our club ate and sleep the primitive ways of life, beats hell out of the 40-50 hours of grin in our regular lifestyle we were accustom to.

That's enough for now on our experiences, lets discuss getting you involved in a new way of life, done correctly and with careful research save you from making to many mistakes. Mistakes are expensive, so lets tread lightly and save you your hard earned funds in the process ...
~~~~~~~~

Moving on to the title of this page "G - GETTING STARTED".
G - GETTING STARTED Follow11

G - GETTING STARTED Buffan16

Last edited by Buck Conner on 3/10/2024, 9:50 am; edited 5 times in total
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

Back to top Go down

G - GETTING STARTED Empty GETTING STARTED IN THIS VENTURE ...

Post by Buck Conner 9/9/2024, 6:41 pm

GETTING STARTED ONCE YOU HAVE PURCHASED YOUR MUZZLELOADER

This was how the store filled that void in some folks lives ...

Thought we would share this with our friends - YOU.   Old memories that won't go away for many of us ...

BUCKHORN RENDEZVOUS

"The store & the muzzle loading club filled a void in many of the customers, club members & friends lives. Some of the guys were lost at one time or another with family issues or personal problems. They found relief coming out to the store with others of like minds to help them work through their issues. That was really neat to see this type of friendship among these guys & gals".

"I have thought about this for years after, then the other night Leif mentioned this & how it helped him through a bad divorce".

"Divorces, deaths & dealing with life seemed to be the subject matter talked about along with  personal problems aired from time to time. All involved leaving feeling better about themselves & their problems". "With hanging out at Buckhorn Rendezvous (referred to as The Store). We didn't plan this to happen, think it was the setting & the folks that hung out there that made these people become a family".

"I came home from work one evening late & the lights in the store were still on with a half dozen cars parked there? When I walked inside there were 6-7 guys sitting around the large table with long faces".  "They greeted me, then I notice they had all been crying". "Ben & this small group had all serviced in Nam & were talking about their personal experiences causing them to break down".

Boy, was this a shock that I found out later had been happening for several months here in the store. We had all services - "door gunners", "special forces", naval and "ground troop" guys here talking about their issues dealing with this terrible experience, pretty damn sad.

"Leif (Uffda) said "It still brings a tear when I think about how much I miss that time in my life - you guys saved me & many others Barry". "Many of us feel the same way about what you guys created with the store".

"Now, how neat is that folks".

G - GETTING STARTED Hivera11
This would be normal dress for yours truly
as well as many of our customers (your living
the part, good idea to dress the part).

G - GETTING STARTED Buckho32
Our old store seemed to never close, if it could talk it would thank us for our efforts ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This was an example of how far many have gone, now lets get back to getting you up and running.

Starting a new sport or activity can be an exciting and rewarding experience, but it can also come with its own set of challenges. When beginning any new  physical activity, it’s crucial to keep a few key things in mind to ensure you’re making the most of your time while reducing the risk of injury as much as possible.

Take your time to begin this venture also gives you a chance to get used to the true physical requirements of a sport, and gives you time to ensure your form and technique are working properly.

It’s important to take the time to learn proper form whether loading, shooting or caring for your muzzleloader now that you have gotten your first firearm (flint or percussion). Learning the techniques from a qualified member is always a good idea. Seeking that guidance can help you to start your new activity on the right foot. Members can help you to develop a personalized plan that takes into account for your goals.  

The next item to consider would be the time period that catches your interest most. The style of clothing; a gentleman, merchant, trader, trapper or maybe a woodsman, lots to consider here, give this some serious thought. Once you have an idea of the type of individual you want to be, the time frame, the clothing you like. Then its time for accourtrements; a hunting pouch & powder horn, style of knife and hawk, the list goes on. Once your outfitted we need to look at getting on the ground; a shelter, bedding, a way to carry your equipage and so on ...

Last edited by Buck Conner on 11/9/2024, 10:44 am; edited 4 times in total
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

G - GETTING STARTED Empty Re: G - GETTING STARTED

Post by Buck Conner 9/9/2024, 6:46 pm

We even had an old  stone smoke house (built in the late 1800's) next to the store that we used from time to time, mainly we smoked buffalo when the large amount of fat was turned into grease. One or two times we did deer or elk when taken and had time to play with building and keeping a hot bed of coals going. The grease was poured into round film cans from the local camera shop in Loveland and then sold at $2.00 a can.

G - GETTING STARTED Render11

Between Ben, Steve Dunne and sometimes maybe Uffda (Lief Aaland) if available. They had a great time handing out pieces of smoked meat to our customers (many were tourist that heard about us in town or read a flyer we had posted at the different stores. This happened six to eight times when still in operation and the buffalo ranch was still operating.  The local reporters helped with articles about our doings.

We used an old family recipe for making our mixture of beeswax and tallow cakes.

We always had a pot on the wood stove in the store all the time of chili, Ben was famous for his chili and homemade bread available every day (great advertising idea that was well known in the area) At lunch time there would be the different delivery trucks parked along the road and the drivers having their free lunch at the store *Leave a good tip to cover what you ate" was what the sign read and they did. It was a group that always had a good time among themselves and new comers  We would buy 100 lbs. bags of beans at a time to keep stocked up.    Fun times ...
G - GETTING STARTED Mix1010

This activity was part of many folks (men, women, kids lives for 18 -19 years, fun on the Buckhorn).

Damn, I miss those days. now to old to try and redo what we lived then     !@#$%^

G - GETTING STARTED Sign-o98

Last edited by Buck Conner on 10/9/2024, 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 9/9/2024, 7:05 pm

To old and frail now, but I'll still always cherish the memories and the friendships along the way. Used the tallow tins many times and even on the grease grooves. Works well in the winter months.

Uffda

G - GETTING STARTED Uffd_210

G - GETTING STARTED Buffan17

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down