Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MORE FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Go down

MORE FOOD FOR THOUGHT Empty MORE FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Post by Buck Conner 8/7/2021, 2:46 pm

MORE FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Here is what is happening with me the last several weeks of December 2012, not mad at anyone just tired of my old ways - not yours or the association - nothing personal. "Time to move on" as they say.....

Hope everyone is doing well, the weather stinks in this area that we have been experiencing for the last few weeks. Seems everyone is having problems breathing when working outside or just going anywhere with the dirty air and cold.

On a higher note, I have finally made my mind up that after the age of 70 plus years of doing my own thing it is time to clean out most of my material items. Work, family and hobbies have taken most of my time, either preparing to display or taking part in whatever the activity. Time for a change before we cannot physically go or afford to with this economy.
Hobbies are the first to go:

Living History
Being on the ground with buck skinning, reenacting, living history (whatever the new term is now) for over 50 years I have come to the realization I have no desire to partake in such happenings any longer. That being said within the last three weeks I have sold everything connected with such a life style; cloth or leather clothing and wares were hand sewn with the finest of care, quality garments made from fine linen, brain tan elk and deer to heavy buffalo moccasins. Camp wares hand forged to beautiful copper ware, no matter what the item was if related to the sport it has been sold totaling over 350 top of the line pieces. The wife could not believe how well these articles have moved on to new owners and the short amount of time it has taken. I could remember what was paid in most cases and with a little research on current prices reached a fair market value for pricing. It worked well for retrieving funds spent as well as making a small profit on most things, which surprised us on how these items have increased in value. I still have a few books and some small things left that will be listed this week to close out this hobby.

Drag Racing
It only took me 57 years to shake this disease (believe me it is a disease that sucks the $$$ dollars out of you). I have spent more money on this sport than anyone with average common sense would have considered well over a $150,000 easy. The last venture is the first full-blown competitive racecar that I broken even on (probably made about $3 bucks an hour for my time). Well that’s history now as everything related to the sport other than a old Bell 2000 Series helmet and a fire jacket (both out dated this year) is all that is left other than pictures, trophies and memories. Even sold all the tools and the enclosed trailer, which went with the Challenger to Quebec Canada.

Collecting
I have cleaned out a large percentage of my family’s, my father’s and my collections, now pondering what is left, and which will be next. The last 25 years has seen 400 plus firearms go down the road with more lining up.

The neighbor asked why all of a sudden I decided to have an “estate sale” as he called my sell off. “Just tired of watching over material things and not wanting to waste my time on them” is my thinking. So far I haven’t missed anything or given much thought to a now past way of life.

The reason I brought this up is what will your family do with your stuff when your gone, get ripped off not knowing a true value or just give it away - loosing again. Think about what you have that’s no longer used or care about, may be time for you too to down size.

ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED  - The North American Frontiersmen Association.

MORE FOOD FOR THOUGHT Unname20
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

Back to top Go down