Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

List of edibles we carried.

2 posters

Go down

List of edibles we carried. Empty List of edibles we carried.

Post by Buck Conner 8/14/2021, 11:39 am

My objective for this Topic Area is a column to provide you with correct edibles for your persona, with period name reference to today's terminology of the same or similar product. Having spent years researching what was available and when, he still has a wealth of information on edibles grown (cultivated) or found along the trails in the wilderness (foraged).

Just removed the old version of goods in favor of an original copy that my friend put up for me, thanks bud.

Smile

Last edited by Buck Conner on 8/16/2021, 2:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

Buck Conner likes this post

Back to top Go down

List of edibles we carried. Empty Re: List of edibles we carried.

Post by campmate 8/15/2021, 9:35 am

Here's one of the first issues of documented period correct foods available from anyone, just one source and that was Clark & Sons Mercantile Inc. A very neat idea dreamed up by the Conner's (10 years ahead of anyone, they had the market cornered).

List of edibles we carried. Csm_110

List of edibles we carried. Csm_210

List of edibles we carried. Csm_310

List of edibles we carried. Csm_410

campmate
campmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 8/16/2021, 9:06 am

Once we had a good list with items that were pleasing to eat, the hard work was done so we thought - wrong. Suppliers were the issue with not being able to fill orders as fast as needed.

An example was "millet flour", unusual product that had low sales for the supplier. Mark Baker of Muzzleloading Magazine (writer) worked with us (one of several), we supplied him items to be tested and written about. Mark tested and wrote about how much he liked "millet flour". The article wasn't out a week and here come the orders. I had 25 lb. of this flour (selling in 1 lb bags), first week I'm out and now have back orders (hated back orders). I'm calling all the mills I know of in search of "millet flour", finally got 200 lbs and filled my back orders (shipping time to and from killed us when we were out of a product like this item).  

Fun times and made some very nice folks ....

Very Happy
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by campmate 8/17/2021, 12:31 pm

It was a cluster at the store with orders, at times it was hard to move around the back room with all the boxes of edibles and cookware (orders being packed for delivery). I don't know how he kept it straight, but he did and his new customers were happy with their purchases.

Uffda, myself and others often wondered if this side line was going to replace the muzzle loading business. This went on for several years at the store until the business location was sold along with the muzzleloading business.

Then Buck and Karen went totally to an internet "Period Correct Period Food/Cookware" business and then they really got busy.
Clark & Sons Mercantile Inc. - was born.
~ Phila. ~ St. Louis ~ Trade West ~

(name changed to Emporium a half dozen years went bye and then sold)

Mad
campmate
campmate

Back to top Go down

Post by campmate 8/17/2021, 12:49 pm

Buck and the Misses just keep moving forward, now doing the office stuff, and orders for GRRW Collectors Association until the gunsmiths hang it up.

List of edibles we carried. 33-8510   List of edibles we carried. 1f610
campmate
campmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 8/21/2021, 5:19 pm

campmate wrote:Buck and the Misses just keep moving forward, now doing the office stuff, and orders for GRRW Collectors Association until the gunsmiths hang it up.

List of edibles we carried. 33-8510   List of edibles we carried. 1f610

Damn it "campmate" you always have to bring up a few times when I had to straighten you out, just like a little kid ....   List of edibles we carried. 1f623  List of edibles we carried. 1f60d

Smile

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Buck Conner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down