Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swabbing between shots - Careful what you use!

+4
Hanshi
Sixgun_Symphony
FrontierGander
Fyrstyk
8 posters

Go down

Swabbing between shots - Careful what you use! Empty Swabbing between shots - Careful what you use!

Post by FrontierGander 9/12/2021, 3:44 pm

The other week I had been shooting some great 200 yard groups with my open sight 54cal hawken.

While I was cleaning it that night, I had an urge to add a LITTLE pinesol to my swabbing solution which was plain water. BIG MISTAKE! The next day, I fired 6 shots at 200 yards, only 2 showed up. I cleaned the bore, set up a 100 yard target and fired 3 shots which gave me a horrible 6" group. I was in total disbelief and couldn't figure out what was going on. I packed up, went home.

While cleaning the rifle, I decided it had to be the pinesol I added to the swabbing solution. I did notice that the patched ball went down a lot easier and was slick feeling. Maybe?

2 days later, I went back out shooting at 100 yards, THIS TIME using straight up water to swab the bore between shots and this was the result.

80gr 2fg Gearhart Owen, .530" round ball, .020" patches.
Swabbing between shots - Careful what you use! 20201102_130711
Next, I  bumped the charge up to 90 grains 2fg.
Swabbing between shots - Careful what you use! 20201102_132800
After this, I'll no longer add any kind of oil, soap, solvent to my swabbing solution! It just adds an unnatural slickness that really screwed up my accuracy big time. Now I need to get back out to 200 yards and test again!
FrontierGander
FrontierGander
Admin

https://bs-bp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Swabbing between shots - Careful what you use! Empty Re: Swabbing between shots - Careful what you use!

Post by Fyrstyk 9/12/2021, 4:20 pm

Try denatured alcohol when swabbing. It removes the fouling and evaporates fast so there is little chance of it contaminating the powder charge or messing with the fire channel. I have been using it for years with great results.

Fyrstyk

Back to top Go down

Swabbing between shots - Careful what you use! Empty Re: Swabbing between shots - Careful what you use!

Post by FrontierGander 9/12/2021, 4:21 pm

I shall do that next time on the range and compare the two.
FrontierGander
FrontierGander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixgun_Symphony 14/12/2021, 4:25 pm

I only use dish soap and water for cleaning at home. I will use Ballistol when at the range. I heard about things like window cleaner and never bothered with it.
Sixgun_Symphony
Sixgun_Symphony

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 18/12/2021, 11:59 am

Clean with tap water and protect with Barricade or something similar if I'm out of it.
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by OldMtnMan 29/12/2021, 12:37 pm

If I was going to swab between shots I just use spit. Seems to work ok and it's free.
OldMtnMan
OldMtnMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 29/12/2021, 12:43 pm

At 75 I find myself kinda dry so spit is out of the question. If I lube with TOW mink oil I don't need to swab until I'm through for the day. Mink oil is my standard for the bush. All other shooting is with Hoppes BP Lube on the patches. Loading is always super easy with Hoppes.
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by OldMtnMan 29/12/2021, 12:54 pm

Shoot slower. It gives the spit time to build up. Very Happy
OldMtnMan
OldMtnMan

Hanshi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 29/12/2021, 1:35 pm

OldMntMan, There are a couple of meds I'm on that have a side effect of "dry mouth". So all of it combined pretty well stops my spit patch. When younger I did/could use it. affraid
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by OldMtnMan 29/12/2021, 2:06 pm

I'm just the opposite. I drool a lot, so the patches help soak it up. pirat
OldMtnMan
OldMtnMan

Hanshi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 29/12/2021, 2:39 pm

Hmmm...It scares me a little to picture myself sitting at home drooling. Maybe okay if I could drool Hoppes. Shocked
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by OldMtnMan 29/12/2021, 3:17 pm

Mostly when I fall asleep. I wake up and my beard is all wet.

Just another old man moment.
OldMtnMan
OldMtnMan

Back to top Go down

Post by uffda 29/12/2021, 7:30 pm

At nite? Oh yea that's a fact. I use spit myself.like olmtnman.there are 2 of us who say it works, try it.
uffda
uffda

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 30/12/2021, 10:58 am

When I got into BP around 55 years ago spit patch was all I ever used.  Back then I could still produce patch lube. bounce
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 30/12/2021, 12:07 pm

Man, you old guys are gross....spitin', droolin'.... Laughing Laughing lol!
Mustang65
Mustang65

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Hanshi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontierGander 30/12/2021, 12:13 pm

Idaho Lewis made a post about using 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and hoppes #9. I hate the smell of hoppes but i may make up a batch one day to try.
FrontierGander
FrontierGander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1844 16/3/2022, 9:25 am

I`ve been using TC #13 for patch lube the past 45 years and have been pleased that it cleans the bore with every loading. I have been able to go for a 50+ shooting session without the need to swab the bore. RMC-Ox-yoke still stocks it (I also bought a drop-in bore light from them and my bores are pristine even after 45 years)

Hanshi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down