Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Original 1772 Hunting Pouch w/Rifle.

2 posters

Go down

An Original 1772 Hunting Pouch w/Rifle. Empty An Original 1772 Hunting Pouch w/Rifle.

Post by Buck Conner 15/3/2022, 10:22 am

There's nothing better for information (historically correct) than having an example to review and study. Here's one of those items I have used since reading this article in the American Rifleman in 1995.

Over a 60–65-year period I personally have packed around more period equipage than anyone with good sense would consider. It’s not hard to get into this mind-set, everything you see you can justify in your “kit”, weight doesn’t seem to matter on somethings (it really does but we seem to be able to justify that problem). I had this mind-set when first getting started, it took several outings to start rethinking what I was doing.

Finally, after a few trips I carried a list of what I had with me and would check-off every time each item was used. A few trips showed just what was really needed and what was carried for no good reason. That list got small real fast once I started keeping track of what was dead weight and what was needed.

You laugh but take a look at just one item you carry and but this theory to the test. A good example is your hunting/shooting pouch, just what do you really need. A good way is look at what our forefather’s carried in their pouches.

Look at and read about an original -
David Cooke's 1772 Rifle and Hunting Pouch.

Shown below is a good example of what a local hunter carried and lived with week after week in supplying meat to the settlements in his area. This hunting/shooting pouch has an interesting story, the original owner David Cooke’s gun was sold (an 1772 rifle) by his family to a collector in Norristown Pennsylvania in 1995. The gun was purchased and then the former owner asked if the new owner would be interested in the purse that belonged with the firearm. When the deal was completed the “purse” brought as much as the rifle (wait until you see the picture of David Cooke’s hunting pouch with accessories). An excellent example of what a woodsman would use daily in his business and also his way of living.

We have listed his wares as shown in the picture of this amazing find …

An Original 1772 Hunting Pouch w/Rifle. Cooke_10

Look at the number of items carried in just his hunting pouch ... makes you wonder what else he carried or had hidden in the forests ...

An Original 1772 Hunting Pouch w/Rifle. Cooke_11

What is printed (shown) is what the small labels say in the larger picture. Better look at your equipage guys ...

An Original 1772 Hunting Pouch w/Rifle. Arms10

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

Back to top Go down

An Original 1772 Hunting Pouch w/Rifle. Empty Re: An Original 1772 Hunting Pouch w/Rifle.

Post by Buck Conner 15/3/2022, 10:39 am

These providers had records (journals) showing the:
  1) amount of game taken each year,
  2) types of game,
  3) settlements he provided meat for,
  4) weather conditions year around and the
  5) different areas he hunted.
  6) these woodsmen also were the security for the settlements with knowledge of who else was in
      the forests near the villages (INDIAN ACTIVITY).
  7) side notes of activity in the forests

An Original 1772 Hunting Pouch w/Rifle. Furtra10

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

An Original 1772 Hunting Pouch w/Rifle. Empty Re: An Original 1772 Hunting Pouch w/Rifle.

Post by Buck Conner 15/3/2022, 3:08 pm

Here's an example of how pricey these hunting bags are (empty bag) with a powder horn & maybe a measure.

Now you see why the David Cooke bag and rifle is over 12,000.00 today's value. WOW ...

An Original 1772 Hunting Pouch w/Rifle. H_bag_10

My family has dealt in this type of goods for over 150 years, we have been lucky enough to have had some of these bags but never one as complete as the Cooke hunting pouch, that would have been a keeper.

An Original 1772 Hunting Pouch w/Rifle. Onewho10

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Needmore Guns likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Hawk 15/3/2022, 6:14 pm

Do I see a ball board in the middle, hanging from the strap? If that is original, it answers the question of whether those are a modern invention or if they were used w-a-y back then!

Winter Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 17/3/2022, 1:06 pm

Yes, that is an original bullet board.  Some of these folks just repeat wrong information and if repeated enough - it becomes true, whether it's correct or not. This is a good example of what some say never existed ... they need to do some research or what wrong information is being referred to ....

An Original 1772 Hunting Pouch w/Rifle. Arms11

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down