Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HERE'S WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO DO ON THE NEXT TRADING POST IDEA ...

3 posters

Go down

HERE'S WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO DO ON THE NEXT TRADING POST IDEA ... Empty HERE'S WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO DO ON THE NEXT TRADING POST IDEA ...

Post by Buck Conner 31/12/2022, 3:32 pm

HERE'S WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO DO ON THE NEXT TRADING POST IDEA ...

Uffda and yours truly think this would be the way to go for the store's new setup. I talked to him tonight about this idea and he would love to do this again this way.

The store would pay for services completed at a 10% discount on the labor our crew would apply, then add that amount to the retail cost. That would be fair for all parties: store cost of firearm, one providing their service (repairs), customer cost and the store. The customer gets a guaranteed firearm that has had these services applied and ends up with a proven shooter. They are happy and we are happy ... word of mouth gets passed on.

A new or used muzzleloader that has been either tuned (*new) or a used one that has received a good tune-up, cleaning, sited-in and ready to go.

HERE'S WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO DO ON THE NEXT TRADING POST IDEA ... Buckho19
HERE'S WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO DO ON THE NEXT TRADING POST IDEA ... Buckho20
HERE'S WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO DO ON THE NEXT TRADING POST IDEA ... Buckho27
HERE'S WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO DO ON THE NEXT TRADING POST IDEA ... Buckho22
HERE'S WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO DO ON THE NEXT TRADING POST IDEA ... Buckho26
HERE'S WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO DO ON THE NEXT TRADING POST IDEA ... Buckho25

The only thing I would change is moving the store location to Hwy 34 (lots of tourists going and coming to Estes Park). Loveland opened a Super Store (prices I couldn't beat on CVA and TC's but had nothing to make the guns shoot). I knew the store manager (would buy him breakfast on Sat mornings). He would send anyone needing muzzleloading supplies, powder, or accessories to Buckhorn Rendezvous. That works (can make more money on these goods) he could sell the guns cheaper than I could buy them.

Three local sporting goods stores hated muzzleloaders, made a deal with them if they came in on a trade, make the deal and I would trade their guns for either cash or modern items (guns) that we were not interested in. Great deal.

Oh, almost forgot about Leroy our contact that went to farm sales all the time, he would look for anything that several of us store owners were interested in, from antiques to guns. We would get first pick on Sat. morning from his purchases made during the week. One of his buys he had (10) TC Hawkens (some a little ruff) but at $50 bucks a piece we could come out alright.  I turned the "Restorer" Steve Dunne loose and within a few hours we had guns ready for "Powder Hawk" and "Uffda" to do their thing, "Uffda" checked them over, made needed corrections then "HawK" was ready to sight in at 25 yards. What a team ...  

Bob our custom builder would just shake his head at the activity with me and Ben running around like "chickens with our heads cut-off ..."  Ken Smith would show up mid-morning with a bag full of beautiful handmade pouches, sheathes and other neat mountain man related items, we would buy whatever he had. "Quill" is probably one of the better craftsmen around for period goods. His products never stayed around usually sold within a day or two.

From 1982 to 1998 (period open) we purchased five muzzleloading stores and a half dozen "kitchen table" operations dealing in muzzleloaders. One of the biggest sellers other than muzzleloaders was pottery from  Santa Fe Pottery out of that town. Tourists loved that stuff; we had orders coming in weekly. The store becomes quite a deal with the different items we had.

Ben made silver and turquoise jewelry, two large biker gangs were always buying silver and turquoise belt buckles and arm bands with the Harley design. Along with his biker friends were the ex-vets, who appeared in the evenings in mild weather. Ben was an ex-Seal from Seal Team One, lost his right arm now wearing a silver hook. They would sit outside and talk about their experiences overseas in war. Sad affair ....

If we could do this again, none of us would give it a second thought, sign me up. We were a very tight group and those left still are, love these guys.

HERE'S WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO DO ON THE NEXT TRADING POST IDEA ... Skills14

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

uffda and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

HERE'S WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO DO ON THE NEXT TRADING POST IDEA ... Empty Re: HERE'S WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO DO ON THE NEXT TRADING POST IDEA ...

Post by Buck Conner 2/1/2023, 10:34 am

Why did we sell the store? This was a big mistake on my part, I kick myself every time I think about the sale.

Got talked into making cleaning supplies (patches), shooting pouches, knife sheaths, etc. I had a 60-ton press and knew a guy that would make the cutting dies. A so-called friend wanted in on the idea (mistake). Long story - short version. Up and running, I  would handle the manufacturing and my friend would handle the sales. At first the idea was working, then I realized I'm doing the manufacturing and handling the dealer sales ... wait a minute.

My partner is walking around blowing smoke and not doing as agreed, I'm burning the candle at both ends, we broke that deal and he left. I sold the business to a friend that rented from us later turns out to be called "Bridger's Best".

I move in 1990 from Masonville to Lakewood CO, within a few months I'm setting up a new business idea "Clark & Sons Mercantile Inc. (a correct period food business (another venture). My wife just shakes her head ....

Business started and sold.

HERE'S WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO DO ON THE NEXT TRADING POST IDEA ... Ideas12

HERE'S WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO DO ON THE NEXT TRADING POST IDEA ... Resear55

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

uffda and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

HERE'S WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO DO ON THE NEXT TRADING POST IDEA ... Empty Re: HERE'S WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO DO ON THE NEXT TRADING POST IDEA ...

Post by uffda 4/1/2023, 9:50 am

Yes, those were shining times of fun, laughter, and most of all, cherished comradeship.
uffda
uffda

Buck Conner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 4/1/2023, 12:22 pm

Here's the reason you need to be careful and not bury yourself in your work habits. I did and it caused some health issues these past three years.

HERE'S WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO DO ON THE NEXT TRADING POST IDEA ... Ideas110

Would my crew and I do it again,
HELL YES.

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

uffda likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by uffda 5/1/2023, 7:34 am

One can always ponder...regrets? Heck no! Good ,bad or indifferent, we did what we did as we only get one goaround. As the saying goes, enjoy the ride and savor the memories while we still can.
uffda
uffda

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 5/1/2023, 8:56 am

Amen old friend ...

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 30/1/2023, 1:01 pm

Buck, I think these are in the wrong thread area. I believe this area is for Rendezvous and related.
Mustang65
Mustang65

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 30/1/2023, 1:06 pm

The Rendezvous business for many is done at a rendezvous Stan ...  This is where most traders get started in the trade.

Back in the 70's through the mid 80's there were more "kitchen table" muzzleloader operations than anyone could believe. All from a guy going to a few rendezvous and deciding they could be a trader and all that was needed was a state tax number. The suppliers didn't care what kind of operation these guys had, they just sold them the products. After a period of time there were so many guys on "trader's row" trying to move their wares that nobody was making a sale. The customer would work one trader against the other for the best price (no get rich traders). In the mid 80's is where a few of us came in buying these so-called businessmen out at (10 cents on the retail dollar) of the amount they had spent originally. Probably 70% of them would cash-in because of the wife's pressure on their mistake.

I had more muzzleloaders and accessories at purchased dirt cheap prices, would run sales in local newspapers for weekend sales. We opened at 9AM on Sat and Sun and have customers sitting in their vehicles or on my front porch having been there since 8AM. I'm trying to run my period correct food business along with my shop too, talk about crazy times. I put several friends to work on the weekend, Uffda was really good at being a salesman for us.

I would tell the guys that worked or helped out, do your research (now they could see what I was telling them was coming true. RESEARCH ~ RESEARCH ~ RESEARCH ~ ) ...

All because of newbie's going to rendezvous ,,,

HERE'S WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO DO ON THE NEXT TRADING POST IDEA ... New_si10

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

uffda likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by uffda 31/1/2023, 3:58 pm

Times have taken a real turn from then. Although
our time has wained, I have faith that shinning times will return one day for the next generation. Lord willing, the PC insanity will pass.
uffda
uffda

Winter Hawk, Buck Conner and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down