Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FUN PLACE TO WORK.

2 posters

Go down

FUN PLACE TO WORK. Empty FUN PLACE TO WORK.

Post by Buck Conner 3/6/2023, 12:01 pm

SUBJECT: FUN PLACE TO WORK

Over the years we each remember employment at "so-so" jobs, but one job really stands out over all of your employment.

Running my own store was a kick, should have moved it instead of closing. "The Buckhorn Rendezvous Inc." with "Clark & Sons Mercantile Inc." was great for as long as it lasted.

FUN PLACE TO WORK. Store10

The next best job was the phone company (now this was a single man's dream -more good-looking woman that were hungry for a man). Lots of fun working there for 30 years.

Then after retiring we went to Utah I stopped at a sporting goods store near where we were moving to, needed to use the bathroom. I ran into a couple guys working here on the gun counter I knew from the rendezvous circuit and connections with antique firearms.

FUN PLACE TO WORK. Cabela10

Cabela's Sporting Goods in Lehi, UT. - Gun Library

I was hired as their "Antique Weapons Appraiser", worked in Lehi along with appraising for a dozen other Cabela's stores. That ws fun just handling the antiques as well as modern weapons.

FUN PLACE TO WORK. Older_12

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

uffda and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

FUN PLACE TO WORK. Empty Re: FUN PLACE TO WORK.

Post by Buck Conner 3/6/2023, 3:10 pm

/

A funny story. I'm working the late shift getting to work about 1:45PM (only live 2 miles from Cabela's).

I wall into the Gun Library and there's a half dozen employees waiting for me (the store manager with other employees). I ask what's this a test ??? I get a one word reply - YES ...

A middle aged man brings in an antique revolver (no serial number or I.D. on the frame or barrel. Cabela's buys the revolver for $150.00. That's a steal for a working anything.

I answered "It's a Smith & Wesson Model #2 (probably Civil War period)".

FUN PLACE TO WORK. Sw11

That stopped this manager in his tracks ... He got smart with me (we have never liked each other) He said "Bullshit" How can you say that without going through the books?

Easy; just look at the profile of the gun Sir (under my breath I was thinking !@#$%^). He grabbed an Antique Firearms Book and looked up S&W Second Model, slammed the book down and left the library. I let him get just outside of the library and said "Did I pass your test A-Hole", he never looked back.

SIDE NOTE

• The gun belonged to the owners great grandfather who was a lawman from Provo UT. Had problems with some drunks and was shot off his horse. Gun came with a newspaper article about this event ...

The guys in the office started patting me on the back, we had a good laugh. Never did like that guy, put up with him for three years until he got fired, I was nice as he was leaving I said "Have a nice day butthead" ...

FUN PLACE TO WORK. Damn_o16

/
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

uffda and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 3/6/2023, 5:53 pm

Buck Conner wrote:/

A funny story. I'm working the late shift getting to work about 1:45PM (only live 2 miles from Cabela's).

I wall into the Gun Library and there's a half dozen employees waiting for me (the store manager with other employees). I ask what's this a test ??? I get a one word reply - YES ...

A middle aged man brings in an antique revolver (no serial number or I.D. on the frame or barrel. Cabela's buys the revolver for $150.00. That's a steal for a working anything.

I answered "It's a Smith & Wesson Model #2 (probably Civil War period)".

FUN PLACE TO WORK. Sw11

That stopped this manager in his tracks ... He got smart with me (we have never liked each other) He said "Bullshit" How can you say that without going through the books?

Easy; just look at the profile of the gun Sir (under my breath I was thinking !@#$%^). He grabbed an Antique Firearms Book and looked up S&W Second Model, slammed the book down and left the library. I let him get just outside of the library and said "Did I pass your test A-Hole", he never looked back.

SIDE NOTE

• The gun belonged to the owners great grandfather who was a lawman from Provo UT. Had problems with some drunks and was shot off his horse. Gun came with a newspaper article about this event ...

The guys in the office started patting me on the back, we had a good laugh. Never did like that guy, put up with him for three years until he got fired, I was nice as he was leaving I said "Have a nice day butthead" ...

FUN PLACE TO WORK. Damn_o16

/

Looks like Mr. Karma bit him in the ass!!
Mustang65
Mustang65

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 4/6/2023, 11:20 am

The best part of the story was I bought the revolver for $175.00 (my discount at Cabela's).

Three months later the original owner came in (now having a new job) and recovering from his old job lost wanted to know if his great grandfather's revolver was still available.

I told him to come back tomorrow, and I'll have an answer for him.  Went home talked to the wife and she agreed. Took the little Smith with me to work the next day, when the former owner came in asking again about his G. Great Grandfathers gun, I handed him a pistol case and told him: "Never sell your family history again". He was very happy saying that was done to feed his kids. How much do I owe Cabela's? I told him I had purchased the gun. "How much do I owe you" (with wallet in hand)?

I repeated Never sell your family history again. This is a gift to you, free, no charge".

His wife and kids all started to cry, the best part I got a hug from everyone. The word spread throughout the store and I was cheered at the store meeting the next day.

Good stuff folks ...

FUN PLACE TO WORK. Older_14

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down