Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reviewing the Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal Flintlock Muzzle Loader

Go down

Reviewing the Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal Flintlock Muzzle Loader Empty Reviewing the Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal Flintlock Muzzle Loader

Post by FrontierGander 4/12/2023, 4:31 pm

Reviewing the Traditions Hawken Woodsman Flintlock .50 cal
For quite some time, I had been feeling the "itch" to acquire a new muzzleloader. After some research, I decided to go ahead and order the Traditions Hawken Woodsman, opting for the percussion model.

Reviewing the Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal Flintlock Muzzle Loader IMG-7694

Unexpected Twist on a Planned Hog Hunt with the Traditions Hawken Woodsman Flintlock .50 cal

I had a hog hunt scheduled for months, but when I found out my rifle was on backorder, I began to worry it wouldn't arrive in time. Luckily, just when anxiety was peaking, I received an email confirming that the rifle had shipped with a promise of 3-day delivery from Traditions to ensure its timely arrival.

Three days later, as promised, a large truck pulled up with my eagerly awaited new rifle. I excitedly brought the package inside, unboxed it, and initially scratched my head at the packing slip, suspecting a mislabel. Nonetheless, I shrugged it off and proceeded to unveil the contents. To my astonishment, instead of the percussion model I ordered, I found a flintlock model staring back at me!

Having a history with flintlocks, I knew this was going to be a challenge. Despite not being my preferred style—especially with only six days to get accustomed to it—I decided to keep it. Equipped with all the necessary supplies, I prepared myself for the hog hunt.

Upon inspection, the rifle boasted a beautifully stained and finished select hardwood (Beechwood) stock, a richly blued barrel, and a crisply operating lock and triggers. The lock's mainspring was notably heavy-duty. The brass, while not my favorite, was polished nicely. For sighting, the rifle featured a click-style hunter rear sight paired with a round front bead.

Reviewing the Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal Flintlock Muzzle Loader IMG_7698
Reviewing the Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal Flintlock Muzzle Loader IMG_7701

On the Range: Adjusting and Perfecting the Traditions Hawken Woodsman Flintlock
One initial setback was with the frizzen spring. It was exceedingly stiff, requiring about 8 pounds of pressure to open, which caused the flints to break after just a few strikes. The frizzen couldn't fully open due to this stiffness. I resolved this by gently compressing the spring using a small C clamp, adjusting it bit by bit until it required about 3 pounds to open, which proved to be perfect.

Having owned several "Hawken" style rifles, I approached the first test firing with a proven load: 80 grains of Goex 2fg black powder, with patches sized both .015" and .020" and lubed with Frontier’s Anti-Rust & Patch lube. I placed the rifle on the bags and swabbed the bore lightly between shots to maintain cleanliness and ensure accuracy, particularly important as I prepared for the upcoming hog hunting season.

While I experimented with various loads, I ultimately settled on my initial choice, given its consistent accuracy and reliability in my past experiences. Contrary to popular belief, there's no need to use 150 grains of black powder and expensive $2 per bullet loads for a successful hunt.

What truly matters is patience and the discipline to wait for the right shot.

Determining the ideal amount of pan powder can be tricky, but after a few adjustments, I found that about 3 grains of 4fg Goex provided the best results. The rifle's lock is exceptionally fast, contributing to nearly instant ignition that is almost imperceptible to the human ear. This rapid ignition was a significant advantage during my hog hunt, enhancing my overall experience with the rifle.

Reviewing the Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal Flintlock Muzzle Loader IMG_7699

The rifle handles exceptionally well, with recoil that is straight back into the shooter's upper arm, avoiding the twisting and digging in that I've experienced with some other rifles. This makes it particularly comfortable during extended shooting sessions.

The balance of the rifle is notably perfect, centered right around the wedge key position, which contributes to its easy handling. 

It's not a barrel-heavy rifle, which adds to the overall comfort and stability when shooting.
Reviewing the Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal Flintlock Muzzle Loader IMG_7700
Reviewing the Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal Flintlock Muzzle Loader IMG_7695

Ignition Reliability and Flint Performance:

There are widespread accounts of Spanish muzzle loaders featuring soft frizzens that result in poor sparking. Fortunately, I did not encounter this issue with this rifle. In my experience, a too-heavy frizzen spring is often the root cause of sparking problems, compounded by the use of overly long flints that do not strike correctly.

To counter this, I use French Amber flints measuring 1/2" X 5/8".

These have consistently produced excellent sparks that collect at the bottom of the pan and sizzle effectively. Additionally, I wrap the flint in trimmed leather to ensure it doesn't strike the frizzen face directly. 

This setup not only improves spark production but also extends the life of both the flint and the frizzen.

Reviewing the Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal Flintlock Muzzle Loader F2

Misfires and Maintenance Insights:
Throughout my usage, I've encountered misfires primarily due to two reasons: an accumulation of fouling on the frizzen after several firings without cleaning, and the use of an old, worn-down flint. At times, the top of the flint clamp was striking the frizzen instead of the flint itself, preventing ignition. Regular maintenance and timely replacement of the flint are crucial to ensure consistent performance.

Barrel Specifications and Performance:
The Hawken Woodsman features a 28-inch long barrel, measuring 15/16" across the flats, with a superbly smooth bore that loads effortlessly. The precision of the bore, which measures .499" at the lands and .503" at the grooves, ensures that patches are never torn by burrs or sharp rifling at the muzzle. The tight but excellently machined barrel, combined with a 1:48 twist, provides solid hunting accuracy for Patched Round Balls.

Weight and Balance:
The rifle weighs in at 7 pounds and 6.5 ounces on my electronic scale. It is well-balanced, with the center of gravity located approximately 1 1/2" forward of the wedge key. This balance makes it comfortable to handle and shoot, particularly during extended periods in the field.

Reviewing the Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal Flintlock Muzzle Loader IMG_7708

Ammunition Performance and Accuracy:
I've also had excellent results using conical bullets with this rifle, including Powerbelts and the new 350 grain Lead Federal BOR Loc bullets. The BOR particularly shines with 80 grains of 2fg Goex black powder, consistently placing three shots touching at 50 yards. Although a 350 grain conical bullet is substantial for deer and hogs—even for elk—it's important to use what you find most accurate and have had good personal experience with.

At 100 yards, my best group measured 3.5 inches using 80 grains of 2fg Goex black powder, a .490" round ball, and .020" patching. I plan to enhance this by bedding the tang and trigger plate, as these are typically weaker areas in many modern Hawken rifles. Loose tang screws can significantly detract from achieving maximum accuracy.

Final Thoughts and Rating:
Overall, I would rate the Traditions Hawken Woodsman a solid 9 out of 10. This rifle represents an exceptional value in terms of price, fit, quality, and reliability. Sometimes a mistake—like receiving a flintlock instead of a percussion model—turns out to be a blessing in disguise. 

This rifle has become my go-to companion for hikes and hog hunts, proving to be a joy to learn and shoot. It has quickly become a dependable hunting partner, making every trip out a memorable experience.

Reviewing the Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal Flintlock Muzzle Loader IMG-6795

Ease of Use and Initial Shooting Impressions:
The Traditions Hawken Woodsman proved remarkably easy to get accustomed to and sight on target. Surprisingly, it took me fewer than 20 shots to dial in, with most of those rounds spent experimenting with different amounts of powder in the pan to optimize performance. The first five shots I fired were simply amazing—far exceeding my expectations, especially considering my limited experience with flintlocks.

Recommendation and Performance Summary:
If you're in the market for a reliable hunting rifle or simply something enjoyable for range shooting, the Traditions Hawken Woodsman is definitely worth considering. On my final attempts of the day, the shots landed at the very top of the bullseye area, grouping perfectly. This was achieved using my preferred hunting lube. The four shots that landed low and to the left were the result of me tweaking the pan charges, exploring how different settings would affect performance.

Reviewing the Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal Flintlock Muzzle Loader IMG-6731
FrontierGander
FrontierGander
Admin

https://bs-bp.forumotion.com

Hanshi and uffda like this post

Back to top Go down