Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dealing with flinch shooting flintlock

+2
Winter Hawk
Knifemaker3
6 posters

Go down

Dealing with flinch shooting flintlock Empty Dealing with flinch shooting flintlock

Post by Knifemaker3 6/7/2021, 3:49 pm

Hey all,
Some of you may have seen my post on my pedersoli .32 scout I purchased a couple of months ago on the other forum.

Haven't had time to shoot anything lately and plan to some time this week get the .32 out and shoot. This is my first flinter and I'm having trouble with flinch when I shoot.

What are some ways to help other than practice? Being a south paw and shooting a right handed rifle probably isn't helping, but......

Knifemaker3

Back to top Go down

Dealing with flinch shooting flintlock Empty Re: Dealing with flinch shooting flintlock

Post by Winter Hawk 6/7/2021, 5:04 pm

Practice makes perfect! I leave a wood chip in the jaws instead of the flint and dry fire 10 or more times each night. After a while I didn't even notice the falling flint when I was actually shooting the rifle.

~WH~

Winter Hawk

Knifemaker3 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Dealing with flinch shooting flintlock Empty Re: Dealing with flinch shooting flintlock

Post by FrontierGander 6/7/2021, 6:27 pm

practice practice practice! Finding the perfect pan charge that goes off almost instantly,helps that flinch out greatly.
FrontierGander
FrontierGander
Admin

https://bs-bp.forumotion.com

Mofish and Knifemaker3 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 7/7/2021, 8:39 am

When at home take that rifle whether percussion, flint or modern and stand in front of a wall mirror (bathroom mirror is usually large enough).  Be sure it is not loaded, serious - had a guy do as stated and shot a hole from the bedroom through the living room to the outside. Take your usual shooting position standing in front of the mirror. Take aim at yourself and squeaks the trigger (did you see the end of the barrel move - that's what your trying to control). This is good practice when the weather is bad and you can't go to your range. Do this when ever you think of it and you'll see improvement.   For a flint gun put a wood chip in place of the flint (for practice).  Dealing with flinch shooting flintlock 1f609

Dealing with flinch shooting flintlock Logo1210

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

Winter Hawk and Knifemaker3 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 10/7/2021, 1:47 pm

I, along with some others, were fortunate to have started off with no flinch when shooting flintlocks. I can't begin to understand why the pan flash bothers some and not others. All I can recommend is to FULLY concentrate on that front sight so you will learn to ignore the flash. If you flinch it's because you pay attention to the pan ignition and have started to anticipate it. Once you learn to ignore, forget about it the flinch will evaporate. Good luck.
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 10/7/2021, 2:10 pm

After talking to a half dozen guys with flinch problems I found they had had some bad experiences with sparks in their faces. That would probably make all of us flinch ....
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 10/7/2021, 3:09 pm

I agree. Mine, however, was from a caplock.
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Hawk 11/7/2021, 5:47 pm

A good reason to wear shooting glasses!

Winter Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 11/7/2021, 6:01 pm

Winter Hawk wrote:A good reason to wear shooting glasses!

ALWAYS

Dealing with flinch shooting flintlock 200w-7
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by CVA Fanboy 4/9/2021, 4:31 am

Flinch and pan flash, My research, as well as some hands on have lead me to understand some watch the lock fall to frizzen and initial spark set off. Instead of keeping the eyes on sights over flash/back flash from frizzen does leave some distrust that inspires flinch. Can it be avoided? I have no clue
CVA Fanboy
CVA Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 4/9/2021, 9:21 am

CVA Fanboy wrote:Flinch and pan flash, My research, as well as some hands on have lead me to understand some watch the lock fall to frizzen and initial spark set off. Instead of keeping the eyes on sights over flash/back flash from frizzen does leave some distrust that inspires flinch. Can it be avoided? I have no clue

LOTS OF PRACTICE WILL HELP ....

Wink
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 4/9/2021, 9:50 am

The only times I've been "sprayed" by muzzleloaders were with percussion; not with a flintlock.
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Knifemaker3 7/9/2021, 7:08 am

Flinch is getting better. Shot some yesterday trying to work out the best load and way to load this rifle. Swab every shot with a .310 round ball and .010 oxy yoke wad and it hits same hole off bench rest at 25 yards. Don’t swab and it opens to a 3” group or more.
Now for offhand practice!

Knifemaker3

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Hawk 7/9/2021, 5:57 pm

Good for you! I still stand by my suggestion of putting a chip of wood in the jaws instead of the flint, then spend a couple of minutes every night dry firing at a spot on the wall (I use the peep hole in our front door). Ten "shots" per evening will get you to where you can ignore the hammer fall. It's worked for me and countless other people. Of course it can get you in trouble if your wife comes around the corner where your target is, just as you are practicing....

~Kees~

Winter Hawk

Hanshi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down