Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Keeping the Records Straight"

Go down

"Keeping the Records Straight" Empty "Keeping the Records Straight"

Post by Buck Conner 25/7/2021, 11:00 am

We each possessed a fusil brought to this country expressly for the Indian trade, a light kind of gun which is used only by the hunters on our side of the mountains for running buffalo. However, my companion appeared quite expert with his weapon, and made several very good shots with it.”......
Warren Ferris

Adventurers in the Rocky Mountains .” p. 17

This is a record of the success of a product used in the North America Fur Trade. A very basic “cottage industry” operation in some cases, that proved to last longer than any other single item available, even the beaver fashion that started the trade.

My interest grew on this subject for several reasons, one of those reasons is having been given a pair of early "common guns", a pre-1816 (“Sitting Fox in Circle”)  "Sharpe" trade gun converted to percussion, a North West Company gun and a pre-1813 (“Tombstone Fox”) "Sharpe" trade gun still a flintlock, a Hudson’s Bay Company gun, both in NRA Very Good to Excellent – 75%.

Along the way I have purchased several more, some not in the best of condition, but one in better than average condition. A “strange gun” according to Charles E. Hanson, Jr. - (pre-1816 by the proof marks), a “Sutherland” stamp on the 24 Ga. barrel, large lock marked very lightly with the “Sitting Fox in a Circle” along with an inspector mark on the barrel, (a “Sitting Fox in a Circle” another North West Company gun). Walnut stocked, brass fittings, trigger guard and side plate similar to a French “C” trade gun (not the usual dragon style side plate), and has a standard flat brass butt plate with square nails.

I once saw an “East India Company” trade gun for sale. I called the dealer and had it sent for inspection. It had the same proof marks as the other northwest guns of the English makers, only the “Sitting Fox” changes to an “Elephant” for that trade in India.  Because of the poor condition I returned it. I learned about the trade in other markets, that I had never thought much about.

Our three (3) NW guns are in “wonderful condition” for their age according to Mr. Hanson. Some guns we  found are in almost unused – NRA fine to new condition with prices that would be a good down payment on an expensive automobile.  I also have a restocked gun, made up of original parts (not a “true” NW gun) but a look alike to the “strange gun” other than markings and butt plate - that fools most people.

Charley has handled and inspected all of three of our NW guns, he liked the “strange gun” best - as he called it. That's how I was informed of the "pre" status and dates on these guns. Mr. Hanson was a walking Northwest Gun Guide Book, his writings on the subject will be the main source of study for years to come. We decided that this weapon was “plain without show - simple but with a glow”.

I have gathered information over years, many different sources as it came to my attention (looking for clues as to what we owned and what I am looking at to purchase). If you have tried to "search" for material in your local library or in their computer system you probably would get the same results many of us have, general reference and a few titles that cover these guns along with other items of the time. Not until the Internet, has this changed, now it’s surprising what one will find; discussion groups, references of the NW gun. “Who and where it was traded”, “did the originals have rear sights”, “were can I see some good examples of these guns” or “how many of these guns were produced” and so on ...  However much of the information is a repeat of one web site to another, and in translation some important facts were left out or changed. This is sad and such mistakes confuse the readers as to what is correct information.

After sharing my data with several friends with like interests, I was talked into putting a sampling of information together, showing some good reference sources for those wanting more detailed material. Charley Hanson read it before having the early version published for the first time in the American Mountain Men’s journal, the “Tomahawk & Long Rifle”. It was titled “A Success in the North America Fur Trade”. This was years before Charlie’s passing. At the time he told me to expand on the information, and gave me several ideas on how and what was needed, many of the same ideas my father had shared before his passing. Thank you Charley and my dad for the words to go forth with this project.

Charley referred to some manufacturers as “assemblers”, because as he put it some of them were “cottage industry” operations. One small group furnished the wood, another the locks, another the barrels and so on. I found this very interesting as I had always thought of the term “cottage industry” as a 60’s and 70’s idea that the “flower children” of that period used.  Mr. Hanson added “look at Sears and Wards, same deal, they had the larger manufacturer build an inexpensive gun and put their name on it, no different then than now when you think about it”.

There are several books on this subject - The “Northwest Gun”, "The NW Guns”, North West Trade Gun”, “Indian Trade Guns” and so on. I have tried to give you a well rounded look of what information was available at this time plus a list of related web sites. I recommend looking at these books for those interested in building their own reproduction NW trade gun. “The Trade Gun Sketchbook” by Charles E. Hanson III, “Trade Muskets or Northwest Guns” by Pryor Mt. Bill Newton and “Voyager’s Sketchbook” by James A. Hanson. These books will get you started in the right direction.

Additional information and suggested dealers are provided in another section titled “PLANNING A NW GUN”.  Look at the print that Dixie Gun Works has of a Northwest gun drawn by Gene Weringa in 1982. A full size blueprint with information on different methods used to assemble a reproduction NW gun.

The Hanson boys have learned their craft well from the early teachings of their father and later from different schools and colleges. When a new title appears by one of them I’m at the head of the line picking up what they have written about the fur trade or the Northwest gun. Thank you, gentlemen, for your continued efforts,
"In keeping the records straight".

Cool
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

Back to top Go down