Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GRRW.CA  H.E. Leman North West Trade Gun [GRRW.CA #NW01 DGW]

2 posters

Go down

GRRW.CA  H.E. Leman North West Trade Gun [GRRW.CA #NW01 DGW] Empty GRRW.CA  H.E. Leman North West Trade Gun [GRRW.CA #NW01 DGW]

Post by Buck Conner 6/8/2021, 3:08 pm

Green River Rifle Works & Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association Guns

This is a copy of an original 1850's NW tradegun right down to the size of the original's bore - a .50 caliber smoothbore. Hanson thought it was built to reach out (longer range) with the buffalo becoming wary of humans.

Mr. Koziol has done similier testing if you remember on another GRRW Collectors Association gun - a J&S Hawken full stock flinter built by Carl Walker last year. Jonathan was amazed how nice that rifle turned out.

Jonathan loves to shoot and improve on the guns he has tested, that's the reason I sent this gun to him. Plus he'll use his different great products and services to improve on what the original copy started out as.

This was a surprise to have Doc comment on someone's work like he has with Jonathan. What Doc White and myself like is how he is making this information available to you guys, should be an interesting review with the addition of his videos .....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GRRW No.1 H.E. Leman North West Trade Gun .50cal. Did a little shooting today and had a blast! Tomorrow, I will be setting up my shooting bags and try it off something stable. Ignition was fast, trigger pull was maybe in the 3 to 4lb range. A very comfortable gun. It was weird getting used to that flat butt plate as I shoot a Hawken, but it was a nice feeling on the shoulder. I am hoping to find an accurate load out to at least 75 yards with this smoothbore and use it for a mule deer hunt in September. An extremely well put together NW gun! Doc did one heck of a job one this one!

GRRW.CA  H.E. Leman North West Trade Gun [GRRW.CA #NW01 DGW] Grrw_c19

H.E. Leman NW Trade Gun built by Doc White
GRRW.CA  H.E. Leman North West Trade Gun
[GRRW.CA #NW01 DGW]

1st Shot

Fine Tuning

Making Adjustments

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Winter Hawk wrote:
You might want to tape a cardboard rear sight on for load development. Just a suggestion.

~WH~

-----------------------------------------------------

That wouldn't work very well when hunting or just carrying the gun in the woods. Your better off figuring out where to aim using the tang screw screwdriver slot for reference.

GRRW.CA  H.E. Leman North West Trade Gun [GRRW.CA #NW01 DGW] Screw111

This slot can be tightened or loosened a touch to move your point of aim, takes a little practice.

Jonathan wrote: That's exactly what I've been doing! That screw helps keep things center and then i go with the blurry line that shows up when I look down the barrel. Just like a shotgun pretty much. So far its been working,, but longer ranges is where consistency will show up.

We have an idea how it shoots (right out of the box) from your testing.

What's next - this is how we will approach this gun:
1.) cone the barrel.
2.) then scrub the bore with your compounds.
3.) retest to see if that made a difference.
----------------------------
4.) see if a steel ramrod is in order.
5.) Birchwood Casey finish.
6.) write up an article of start to finish on this one.

The video's really look good.

Buck

I love you

Smile
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

uffda and bent like this post

Back to top Go down

GRRW.CA  H.E. Leman North West Trade Gun [GRRW.CA #NW01 DGW] Empty Re: GRRW.CA  H.E. Leman North West Trade Gun [GRRW.CA #NW01 DGW]

Post by FrontierGander 9/8/2021, 9:08 pm

Birchwood Casey genuine oil finish has been applied!
GRRW.CA  H.E. Leman North West Trade Gun [GRRW.CA #NW01 DGW] 20210813
GRRW.CA  H.E. Leman North West Trade Gun [GRRW.CA #NW01 DGW] 20210812
GRRW.CA  H.E. Leman North West Trade Gun [GRRW.CA #NW01 DGW] 20210814
FrontierGander
FrontierGander
Admin

https://bs-bp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

GRRW.CA  H.E. Leman North West Trade Gun [GRRW.CA #NW01 DGW] Empty Re: GRRW.CA  H.E. Leman North West Trade Gun [GRRW.CA #NW01 DGW]

Post by Buck Conner 10/8/2021, 9:32 am

WOW that really made a difference on the finish ... looks really slick kid ... nice.  GRRW.CA  H.E. Leman North West Trade Gun [GRRW.CA #NW01 DGW] 1f604

NOTE: This finish was put on to protect the gun in bad weather (original finishes we nothing like was you see here).

GRRW.CA  H.E. Leman North West Trade Gun [GRRW.CA #NW01 DGW] 1f60d

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

uffda likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down