Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Howdy from Nebraska

+3
Winter Hawk
Mustang65
bear3855
7 posters

Go down

Howdy from Nebraska Empty Howdy from Nebraska

Post by bear3855 10/1/2022, 2:51 pm

Howdy folks. I stumbled on this forum a few days ago after finding it on a Youtube video. While I'm already a member of quite a few related forums that I enjoy, this one seems to have a spot for all of my favorite parts of the hobby so I'm excited to find it.

I'm not new to black powder (been shooting black powder cartridge and cap and ball revolvers for a few years) but I am pretty new to muzzleloaders. I got my first one, a Hatfield .45, just about a month ago now and it's quickly taken over as pretty much the only thing I take to the range. If you ever ran into me on other forums, you may know that I'm still working out some kinks with the ol' girl. But I love it all the same.

I'm also not completely new to the rendezvous world, I grew up going to the Red, White, and Blue right here in central Nebraska every year and have been longing to get back to it. Now that I've got myself a muzzleloader and a period-appropriate tent, I do think it's time to make that happen. Planning on getting up there this year and I'm looking forward to it.

Anyways, I can ramble on forever if I don't catch myself so I'll just leave it at that. Glad to meet you all.
- Bear

bear3855

FrontierGander and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Howdy from Nebraska Empty Re: Howdy from Nebraska

Post by Mustang65 10/1/2022, 3:08 pm

bear3855 wrote:Howdy folks. I stumbled on this forum a few days ago after finding it on a Youtube video. While I'm already a member of quite a few related forums that I enjoy, this one seems to have a spot for all of my favorite parts of the hobby so I'm excited to find it.

I'm not new to black powder (been shooting black powder cartridge and cap and ball revolvers for a few years) but I am pretty new to muzzleloaders. I got my first one, a Hatfield .45, just about a month ago now and it's quickly taken over as pretty much the only thing I take to the range. If you ever ran into me on other forums, you may know that I'm still working out some kinks with the ol' girl. But I love it all the same.

I'm also not completely new to the rendezvous world, I grew up going to the Red, White, and Blue right here in central Nebraska every year and have been longing to get back to it. Now that I've got myself a muzzleloader and a period-appropriate tent, I do think it's time to make that happen. Planning on getting up there this year and I'm looking forward to it.

Anyways, I can ramble on forever if I don't catch myself so I'll just leave it at that. Glad to meet you all.
- Bear

Welcome to the forum. Great to have you onboard.
Mustang65
Mustang65

https://www.mountaingnome.com

bear3855 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Hawk 11/1/2022, 7:24 am

Welcome from SE Ohio! I drove through Nebraska a time or two; that was the l-o-n-g-e-s-t drive in one state i ever took, I swear! Shocked Razz

~Kees~

Winter Hawk

bear3855 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bear3855 11/1/2022, 9:13 am

Winter Hawk wrote:Welcome from SE Ohio!  I drove through Nebraska a time or two; that was the l-o-n-g-e-s-t drive in one state i ever took, I swear! Shocked Razz

~Kees~

Across I-80 I reckon? I wouldn't wish that drive on anyone. That road goes on forever and ever across the most uninspiring ground in the state. People don't realize how long Nebraska is until they try to cross it on the interstate... And I'll say Nebraska is as beautiful as anywhere else I've been, but I wouldn't blame someone for thinking otherwise after making that drive haha.

bear3855

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 11/1/2022, 12:17 pm

Welcome to the forum, bear3855. And yes, we have enough subforums to please just about anyone.
Hanshi
Hanshi

Mustang65 and bear3855 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 11/1/2022, 12:42 pm

bear3855 wrote:
Winter Hawk wrote:Welcome from SE Ohio!  I drove through Nebraska a time or two; that was the l-o-n-g-e-s-t drive in one state i ever took, I swear! Shocked Razz

~Kees~

Across I-80 I reckon? I wouldn't wish that drive on anyone. That road goes on forever and ever across the most uninspiring ground in the state. People don't realize how long Nebraska is until they try to cross it on the interstate... And I'll say Nebraska is as beautiful as anywhere else I've been, but I wouldn't blame someone for thinking otherwise after making that drive haha.

If you think that drive is long.....try driving across Texas.
Mustang65
Mustang65

bear3855 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bear3855 11/1/2022, 12:59 pm

Mustang65 wrote:
bear3855 wrote:

~Kees~

Never had the pleasure... Furthest south I've been is Kansas haha. I don't get out much and if I do, I'm usually headed west. I don't doubt it's a long drive though. But to be honest, looking over miles and miles of flat plains is not disagreeable to me. If it was, well, I probably wouldn't like living here!

bear3855

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 11/1/2022, 3:46 pm

bear3855 wrote:Welcome from SE Ohio!  I drove through Nebraska a time or two; that was the l-o-n-g-e-s-t drive in one state i ever took, I swear! Shocked Razz

~Kees~ wrote:Across I-80 I reckon? I wouldn't wish that drive on anyone. That road goes on forever and ever across the most uninspiring ground in the state. People don't realize how long Nebraska is until they try to cross it on the interstate... And I'll say Nebraska is as beautiful as anywhere else I've been, but....

If you think that drive is long.... try driving across Kansas, now that's boring.
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 11/1/2022, 5:29 pm

bear3855 wrote:
Mustang65 wrote:
bear3855 wrote:

~Kees~

Never had the pleasure... Furthest south I've been is Kansas haha. I don't get out much and if I do, I'm usually headed west. I don't doubt it's a long drive though. But to be honest, looking over miles and miles of flat plains is not disagreeable to me. If it was, well, I probably wouldn't like living here!

I like driving through Nebraska, Iowa, & Texas has some very beautiful scenery. But, I've always loved the mountains.
Mustang65
Mustang65

bear3855 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 11/1/2022, 5:31 pm

Buck Conner wrote:
bear3855 wrote:Welcome from SE Ohio!  I drove through Nebraska a time or two; that was the l-o-n-g-e-s-t drive in one state i ever took, I swear! Shocked Razz

~Kees~ wrote:Across I-80 I reckon? I wouldn't wish that drive on anyone. That road goes on forever and ever across the most uninspiring ground in the state. People don't realize how long Nebraska is until they try to cross it on the interstate... And I'll say Nebraska is as beautiful as anywhere else I've been, but....

If you think that drive is long.... try driving across Kansas, now that's boring.

When I drive through Kansas I never use the interstate. There is a lot of great scenery and small towns driving through Kansas.
Mustang65
Mustang65

bear3855 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bear3855 11/1/2022, 11:42 pm

I will die on this hill, Kansas has the most underrated views in the country. Not necessarily because it's all that great, but because it's a pretty low bar since it gets a lot of undue hate. Actually, as much as I hate to admit it, when I drive south into Kansas, the most boring parts of the drive are within our borders. It may not blow me away with its beauty, but any plainsman can find something to appreciate in that state. Maybe that gets harder over the course of a few hours drive... But I'll just say that Kansas is better than it gets credit for. And I agree, the small towns and the people that inhabit them along the way are worth a meet.

Iowa on the other hand... As a native Nebraskan, it's hard to come up with a nice thing to say about that state. But that's where my family comes from so I have to thank them for that at least.

bear3855

Back to top Go down

Post by bear3855 11/1/2022, 11:48 pm

I guess I should say something about the mountains too since it came up. No doubt they are beautiful and I try to get it to Wyoming every year to remind myself of that. But I myself am a "plain to see plainsman" and that's where I feel at home. I'm just grateful I live within a days drive of both.

bear3855

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 12/1/2022, 8:30 am

Some of the best deer hunting is at Fort Robertson (old military fort from the Indian Wars). We could stay at the fort, be feed and was given a hand in cleaning and caring for the taken animals. Fun experience.

Howdy from Nebraska Huntin18
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

Back to top Go down

Post by bear3855 12/1/2022, 9:36 am

Buck Conner wrote:Some of the best deer hunting is at Fort Robertson (old military fort from the Indian Wars). We could stay at the fort, be feed and was given a hand in cleaning and caring for the taken animals. Fun experience.

Howdy from Nebraska Huntin18

Wonder if you're meaning Fort Robinson? Up there in the Chadron area, south of the Black Hills. Not doubting you, just not aware of a Fort Robertson, but then there's a lot of things I'm not aware of. I never have been up there myself yet somehow, guess because it's such a long drive and in just as much time I could get to the mountains over by Laramie. But I would love to get there eventually, and if that's what you meant, you're right, there's great hunting up there as I understand it. Lots of critters up there, even mountain lions which I think just recently got a season added.

I do my hunting closer to where I live which is far, far away from there. But those mountain lions can roam quite a ways, I think. I heard a farmer near the ground I hunt recently saw one on his trail cam, so I s'pose it ain't so different!

bear3855

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontierGander 12/1/2022, 11:02 am

Welcome aboard!
FrontierGander
FrontierGander
Admin

https://bs-bp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CVA Fanboy 13/1/2022, 5:26 pm

Welcome, I have been out, avoiding for a while.
CVA Fanboy
CVA Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down