Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Today's mountain men ..... little girls can't take snow or cold.....

3 posters

Go down

Today's mountain men ..... little girls can't take snow or cold..... Empty Today's mountain men ..... little girls can't take snow or cold.....

Post by Mustang65 2/2/2022, 9:32 am

I hear all these folks telling about how they hunt and use period cloths and attend all the rendezvous.
NO. 1.) Mountain men didn't wear loin cloths!
NO. 2.) Seems all these mountain men today go to the rendezvous as long as it's nice and warm. Seems that when there is some snow on the ground and cold outside, they are afraid to attend these rendezvous.

The reason I'm commenting is that the Santa Fe Trails Winter Survival Rendezvous has a total of 7, yes that's right 7 camps. Seems like the cold scared these so called mountain men off ....... "MEOW" "MEOW" lol!
Mustang65
Mustang65

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Back to top Go down

Today's mountain men ..... little girls can't take snow or cold..... Empty Re: Today's mountain men ..... little girls can't take snow or cold.....

Post by Buck Conner 4/9/2022, 12:25 pm

Mustang65 wrote:I hear all these folks telling about how they hunt and use period cloths and attend all the rendezvous.
NO. 1.) Mountain men didn't wear loin cloths!

• If you study history the loin cloth was a popular item and worn by those that their white man clothes worn out. Colter, Bridger and other famous mountaineers wore the "clout" when their clothing fell apart. Once making a rendezvous white man clothing was the first item to be sold out of according to company records. If you have never wore a "clout" your missing out Stan, they are comfortable, cooler in summer and not that bad in winter weather. I like the ease of the "clout" for keeping one clean (easy to wash your wad or re-leave yourself when mother nature calls ... another reason the "clout" was worn if living among the Indians the whites tried to blend in, not stand out like a sore thumb ...

Mustang65 wrote:
NO. 2.) Seems all these mountain men today go to the rendezvous as long as it's nice and warm. Seems that when there is some snow on the ground and cold outside, they are afraid to attend these rendezvous.
  • I have to agree with you Stan, Moc's in 5 degrees below weather sucks - I have the numb toes to prove this one. That's when you find out how good your camp mate is and if he'll share his body heat ..

.   Smile

Mustang65 wrote:
The reason I'm commenting is that the Santa Fe Trails Winter Survival Rendezvous has a total of 7, yes that's right 7 camps. Seems like the cold scared these so called mountain men off ....... "MEOW" "MEOW" lol!

• That's life with the fair weather want-a-bee's .... every group has them, lots of talk, no show ...

Try spending a four-day weekend in 5-degree weather during the day and having it drop to below -10 at night. You either bunch together to share each other's body heat or take turns keeping a campfire burning (one tends the fire while others gather firewood). This was not an enjoyable camp, but a chance to experience how our forefather's lived in a daily hunting camp.

Today's mountain men ..... little girls can't take snow or cold..... Winter12

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Today's mountain men ..... little girls can't take snow or cold..... Empty Re: Today's mountain men ..... little girls can't take snow or cold.....

Post by Buck Conner 6/11/2023, 11:15 am

Did my reply enlighten you Stan.

That's sad that's only seven would and could brave the cold. Twenty years ago that was considered a test of your worth, now that test is worthless. Sad ..

Today's mountain men ..... little girls can't take snow or cold..... Use_th38
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 18/11/2023, 11:53 am

I grew up in Georgia during the 40s and 50s and cold weather does happen sometimes. So 70 years ago I'd never seen actual snow. But that was when I was still a little girl and could "stand" the "weeny" cold we'd have. scratch
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 18/11/2023, 5:13 pm

Hanshi wrote:I grew up in Georgia during the 40s and 50s and cold weather does happen sometimes.  So 70 years ago I'd never seen actual snow.  But that was when I was still a little girl and could "stand" the "weeny" cold we'd have. scratch

Tom, happy you still have such a great sense of humor. lol!
Mustang65
Mustang65

Winter Hawk, Hanshi and Buck Conner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 28/11/2023, 2:46 pm

Are you improving Tom, good luck

Buck

Today's mountain men ..... little girls can't take snow or cold..... Collec12
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 28/11/2023, 2:59 pm

Thankyou for asking.  Hard to answer that question but that PT program is making a real difference in my balance and movement.  No, I won't be doing high wire acts in the circus anytime soon.  But hey, if it keeps me from falling I'll be satisfied.  right now I have osteopenia and some osteoporosis so I'm at some risk for a hip fracture, so I cannot afford to keep falling.  Does this make me an old lady?  I do feel like one.
Today's mountain men ..... little girls can't take snow or cold..... Istockphoto-1168459284-170667a
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 28/11/2023, 3:22 pm

Hanshi wrote:Thankyou for asking.  Hard to answer that question but that PT program is making a real difference in my balance and movement.  No, I won't be doing high wire acts in the circus anytime soon.  But hey, if it keeps me from falling I'll be satisfied.  right now I have osteopenia and some osteoporosis so I'm at some risk for a hip fracture, so I cannot afford to keep falling.  Does this make me an old lady?  I do feel like one.
Today's mountain men ..... little girls can't take snow or cold..... Istockphoto-1168459284-170667a

Great sense of humor.....love it!
Today's mountain men ..... little girls can't take snow or cold..... Beepbe13
Mustang65
Mustang65

Hanshi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 29/11/2023, 10:17 am

Today's mountain men ..... little girls can't take snow or cold..... Pldlad10

Today's mountain men ..... little girls can't take snow or cold..... Huntin39

My semites exactly ...

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Hanshi, Buck Conner and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down