Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Desperation showing up at auctions....

4 posters

Go down

Desperation showing up at auctions.... Empty Desperation showing up at auctions....

Post by Mustang65 18/2/2022, 11:12 am

Watching several online auction with muzzle loaders and buyers are desperate to buy!
Used Thompson .50 rifles that were being bought for $200-$300 a year ago, are now being bid up to $500-$600!
The same goes for CVA, Traditions, Lyman, etc.
Mustang65
Mustang65

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Back to top Go down

Desperation showing up at auctions.... Empty Re: Desperation showing up at auctions....

Post by Winter Hawk 19/2/2022, 5:47 pm

It's insane! Check out what a used, run of the mill Marlin is going for now. H&R/NEF barrels are more than triple what they were going for pre-Covid. And ammo & reloading components are scarce to unavailable also....

Winter Hawk

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Desperation showing up at auctions.... Empty Re: Desperation showing up at auctions....

Post by Mustang65 20/2/2022, 8:28 am

Winter Hawk wrote:It's insane!  Check out what a used, run of the mill Marlin is going for now.  H&R/NEF barrels are more than triple what they were going for pre-Covid.  And ammo & reloading components are scarce to unavailable also....

You mean pre Covid-Biden. Very Happy
Mustang65
Mustang65

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Hawk 20/2/2022, 9:28 am

I stand corrected!

~Kees~

Winter Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Needmore Guns 22/2/2022, 12:09 pm

Prices are nuts for sure. I’ve been looking for CVA flintlock lock since November. The price of used locks are ridiculous.

I don’t need one, I just want one for my CVA Mtn rifle.

Needmore Guns

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Hawk 27/2/2022, 5:53 pm

Look at L&R's RPL locks. You will need the small one:
https://www.lr-rpl.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49:cvatraditions-lock-small&catid=36:cva-small&Itemid=62

They don't give them away, but the quality is good.
~Kees~

Winter Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Needmore Guns 27/2/2022, 6:38 pm

Winter Hawk wrote:Look at L&R's RPL locks.

Thanks, I know about the L&R lock, but I want a CVA.

My understanding is the L&R requires some additional wood to be removed from the lock mortice. I want to be able to switch back to percussion without problems, thereby having two guns in one, so to speak.

Needmore Guns

Back to top Go down

Post by CVA Fanboy 7/3/2022, 6:57 pm

OH Yeah however it is not "Desperation" Just PURE GREED plain simple Greed
CVA Fanboy
CVA Fanboy

Hanshi, Needmore Guns and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Hawk 10/3/2022, 12:04 pm

Needmore Guns wrote:
My understanding is the L&R requires some additional wood to be removed from the lock mortise. I want to be able to switch back to percussion without problems, thereby having two guns in one, so to speak.
I replaced the lock on a T-C I had, with an L&R. The instructions that came with it said to take metal off the lock plate rather than off the wood. then deepen any parts of the stock where the internals were dragging. I of course, figured it would be easier to remove wood to fit the lock plate and never was very satisfied with the outcome.

The CVA lock on my "Hodgepodge" rifle has never let me down (no, it's NOT for sale) so I can understand your wanting to get one of them. Just be aware that the Spanish built guns have a funky set up for the drum. It screws clear across the barrel and breech plug, then is drilled out from the bore, which is why they don't want you to remove it, or to try to debreech the barrel. What I have been told is that the flintlocks were done the same way and the drum cut off flush with the barrel flat. Take a look at the attached picture....

~Kees~

Well dang, I can't figure out how to post the .JPG. I'll try again later.

Winter Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Needmore Guns 10/3/2022, 12:17 pm

From L&R:

“Lock plates drop in but some minor internal wood removal is necessary to accommodate the RPL's heavy duty working parts.”

Needmore Guns

Back to top Go down

Post by Needmore Guns 10/3/2022, 12:25 pm

Winter Hawk wrote:

Well dang, I can't figure out how to post the .JPG.  I'll try again later.

Select files, Insert All
Desperation showing up at auctions.... 29bb5a10

Needmore Guns

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 11/3/2022, 11:15 am

Winter Hawk wrote:
Needmore Guns wrote:
My understanding is the L&R requires some additional wood to be removed from the lock mortise. I want to be able to switch back to percussion without problems, thereby having two guns in one, so to speak.
I replaced the lock on a T-C I had, with an L&R.  The instructions that came with it said to take metal off the lock plate rather than off the wood. then deepen any parts of the stock where the internals were dragging.  I of course, figured it would be easier to remove wood to fit the lock plate and never was very satisfied with the outcome.

The CVA lock on my "Hodgepodge" rifle has never let me down (no, it's NOT for sale) so I can understand your wanting to get one of them.  Just be aware that the Spanish built guns have a funky set up for the drum.  It screws clear across the barrel and breech plug, then is drilled out from the bore, which is why they don't want you to remove it, or to try to debreech the barrel.  What I have been told is that the flintlocks were done the same way and the drum cut off flush with the barrel flat.  Take a look at the attached picture....

~Kees~

Well dang, I can't figure out how to post the .JPG.  I'll try again later.

Winter Hawk,
I put instructions in the FORUM SUPPORT CENTER for anyone needing help to add images to their post. After a time or two it's very easy and fast.
Mustang65
Mustang65

Back to top Go down

Post by Needmore Guns 12/3/2022, 5:41 am

Winter Hawk wrote: Just be aware that the Spanish built guns have a funky set up for the drum.  It screws clear across the barrel and breech plug, then is drilled out from the bore, which is why they don't want you to remove it, or to try to debreech the barrel.  What I have been told is that the flintlocks were done the same way and the drum cut off flush with the barrel flat.

I found some pics of the CVA breech. I see what you mean and I won’t be seeking a CVA lock now. It will remain as a percussion rifle.

Thanks for the info, you saved me lots of trouble.

Needmore Guns

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down