Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

With getting older you may need a change.

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

With getting older you may need a change. Empty With getting older you may need a change.

Post by Buck Conner 29/3/2022, 10:48 am

SUBJECT: With getting older you may need a change.
Don't laugh, it happens to all of us. What you could do twenty years ago has changed what one can do today. I know this as well as many of you, with that though in mind think about what is more comfortable to shoot now.

EXAMPLE: I have always had some pretty good (recoil weapons) that would bring tears to your eyes. That was fine when younger (macho thing I guess), those days are gone. No more gritting your teeth waiting for the recoil. Had a chance to sell (3) 12 gauge shotguns (that hurt as all of them were very nice and high dollar weapons). Then I end up with 510 rounds of mixed 12 gauge ammo to move. Made them a smokin' deal ...

Got lucky between Doc White and a neighbor the un-useable ammo has been traded for 20 gauge ammo. That works as I just got a new Mossburg Shockwave 20 gauge home defense gun. That's all that I need as I no longer am capable of hunting, my shooting will be off the front or back porch at the bad guys if needed. On the ammo I traded for:

• Remington #5 bird shot – (2) boxes
    Winchester Lead slugs – (7 boxes)
    Remington Lead slugs – (7 boxes)
    Winchester Buckshot No. #3 – (15 boxes)
    Remington Buckshot No. #3 – (15 boxes)

With getting older you may need a change. Test_a10

All in 2-3/4" high brass, figured less recoil with this size.

Something for you to ponder ....

With getting older you may need a change. Mossbu10

With getting older you may need a change. Arms13
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

uffda likes this post

Back to top Go down

With getting older you may need a change. Empty Re: With getting older you may need a change.

Post by uffda 21/4/2022, 12:05 pm

We all get there sometime, but I'm not there yet! Least I'm not ready to admit it yet.
uffda
uffda

Hanshi and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

With getting older you may need a change. Empty Re: With getting older you may need a change.

Post by Mustang65 21/4/2022, 2:42 pm

uffda wrote:We all get there sometime, but I'm not there yet! Least I'm not ready to admit it yet.

Too many older folks start digginh their grave before their time. Damned shame!
Mustang65
Mustang65

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Hanshi and uffda like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 31/5/2023, 10:33 am

Buck Conner wrote:SUBJECT: With getting older you may need a change.
Don't laugh, it happens to all of us. What you could do twenty years ago has changed what one can do today. I know this as well as many of you, with that thought in mind think about what is more comfortable to shoot now.

As long as your interest holds out, enjoy what you have and be thankful for those items that keep you interested.

With getting older you may need a change. Damn_o14
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

uffda and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 31/5/2023, 10:39 am

Mustang65 wrote:Too many older folks start digging their grave before their time. Damned shame!

That's true, but on the other hand be prepared, nice blanket, comfortable pillow, loose fitting clothes so you can relax and maybe like "Uffda" a few gun books. With these few things life was good ...

With getting older you may need a change. Damn_o15
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 31/5/2023, 10:49 am

Buck Conner wrote:
Mustang65 wrote:Too many older folks start digging their grave before their time. Damned shame!

That's true, but on the other hand be prepared, nice blanket, comfortable pillow, loose fitting clothes so you can relax and maybe like "Uffda" a few gun books. With these few things life was good ...

With getting older you may need a change. Damn_o15
What you described is pretty close to what I do when I get in to bed at night. Nice blanket, comfortable pillow, loose night wear, and I usually watch a good show that I taped, documentary usually, after that read for awhile, finally, nighty night.
During the day try to get as much outside as I can, always something to do around the property. I like to work in the wood shop a lot of the time. Always something to do on the vehicles or equipment. Right now digging out an area to build a below ground green house....damned ground here is like cement about the first 3 feet!
Mustang65
Mustang65

uffda likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by uffda 31/5/2023, 4:28 pm

Gotta just "get er done" best we can as long as we can. Even if it seems nearly hopeless. We just do things a bit slow...er. best wishes to you all.
uffda
uffda

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 13/8/2023, 3:27 pm

Hmmmf! I'm still wet behind my 77 year old ears. Been thinking I just don't feel or look that old. But when you hurt in every joint in your body it's hard to keep the faith. Got a few guns, don't get to shoot much so play with them - actually it's more like FONDLE them. I got a fair amount of "stuff" but not nearly as much "stuff" as I had before the move.
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 13/8/2023, 4:11 pm

Jonathan bought a 14x16 wall tent with traditional poles. We decided before going hunting to put it up and determine condition. Found it to be in great shape and the 3 of us had it put up pretty quickly. It amazed us how easy it really was to erect. He got one hell of a deal on it. We shall hunt in comfort With getting older you may need a change. 1f60d
With getting older you may need a change. Wallte10
Mustang65
Mustang65

Buck Conner and uffda like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 14/8/2023, 9:55 am

My buddy Tom in his younger days.
With getting older you may need a change. Hanshi10
Mustang65
Mustang65

Hanshi and uffda like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by uffda 16/8/2023, 7:31 pm

I'll fondle all day if I can't get out to the range. Got the bb gun in the kitchen just to plink the target on the other side of the wall.
uffda
uffda

Hanshi and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 5/9/2023, 12:41 pm

What bothers me the most is waking up in the morning and being glad I slept really well. But then my body speaks up and says, "Maybe so BUT YOU DID IT WRONG"!
Hanshi
Hanshi

Winter Hawk and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Hawk 5/9/2023, 5:20 pm

What is this "slept really well" you speak of?  I'm up & down like a dang yoyo, 3 or more times a night....  -sigh-

Winter Hawk

Hanshi, uffda and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 6/9/2023, 1:04 pm

Actually, same here. I am always in medium to severe pain and yes, it follows me to bed. I wake up a few times each night mainly for trips to the bathroom or hoping the pain subsides so I can get back to sleep....it never does. Regardless whether or not I sleep okay the worst pain is when I get up each morning. I also have to sit there a bit to make sure I won't fall when I stand up, sometimes I fall anyway. I rarely go outside for anything other than rolling the trashcan out to the curb for our weekly pickup.

Monday we drove to Brunswick to have an outdoor supper with friends. I was scared the whole time that I might fall so never stepped out of the circle except to get another beer. We were entertained by a flock of wild turkeys that didn't mind us and came up just feet from the table with 6 of us dining. Pain is ALWAYS with me. I remember - my students never knew if I was serious or pulling their legs - I use to say to them that your best friend is pain. "Friends, relatives and others can betray you but pain never will. It will always stay by your side permanently and never leave you". That sounds to me like a true friend. One of my black belt students came to me once and said, "that kinda sucks".

But I know what you're saying and feel assured you're not alone.
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 6/9/2023, 2:18 pm

Hanshi wrote:Pain is ALWAYS with me. "Friends, relatives and others can betray you but pain never will.  It will always stay by your side permanently and never leave you". That sounds like a true friend.

You're not alone, many of us have the same friend.

With getting older you may need a change. Tlr_si10
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Hanshi, uffda and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 6/9/2023, 2:40 pm

Occasionally you want to get away from "that" friend.  With getting older you may need a change. 1f601
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 6/9/2023, 2:47 pm

True, but he has friends that help him out when he's tired of you complaining. ...

With getting older you may need a change. Newlog32
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 6/9/2023, 6:36 pm

Hanshi wrote:Actually, same here.  I am always in medium to severe pain and yes, it follows me to bed.  I wake up a few times each night mainly for trips to the bathroom or hoping the pain subsides so I can get back to sleep....it never does.  Regardless whether or not I sleep okay the worst pain is when I get up each morning.  I also have to sit there a bit to make sure I won't fall when I stand up, sometimes I fall anyway.  I rarely go outside for anything other than rolling the trashcan out to the curb for our weekly pickup.

Monday we drove to Brunswick to have an outdoor supper with friends.  I was scared the whole time that I might fall so never stepped out of the circle except to get another beer.  We were entertained by a flock of wild turkeys that didn't mind us and came up just feet from the table with 6 of us dining.  Pain is ALWAYS with me.  I remember - my students never knew if I was serious or pulling their legs - I use to say to them that your best friend is pain.  "Friends, relatives and others can betray you but pain never will.  It will always stay by your side permanently and never leave you".  That sounds to me like a true friend.  One of my black belt students came to me once and said, "that kinda sucks".

But I know what you're saying and feel assured you're not alone.

Tom, I feel for you friend. I guess i've been pretty fortunate.
I've had some major surgeries and been lost on the table twice, but they found me. I just never talk much about it.
You take care and I seriously hope if there is a super being up there that you would be spared all the pain.
Stan
Mustang65
Mustang65

Hanshi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 7/9/2023, 11:30 am

Stan, I've had more surgeries than I care to think about. However, unlike your experiences I've never had any life threatening surgeries. I can't even count the surgeries my squeeze went through. In one 18 month period she had at least 5 or 6 of them but there were many others too. She will be going into the hospital in a few days for heart surgery to close a hole in her heart; they said it was the cause of her stroke several months ago. I did almost lose her years ago when she was rushed into surgery for severe peritonitis, her surgeon said she came scary close to leaving us.

You take care of your self, Stan, and smooth sailing from here on out. It's funny but every morning when I wake up the devil says, "oh Hell, Tom's up"! I remember praying to THE BIG GUY asking why I was having such a hard life, filled with disappointments and misery. I did receive an answer surprisingly. He said to me, "Well Tommy I really can't say specifically; it's just that you piss me off". But I think I'll be okay...err...just as long as a crowd with pitchforks and tapers don't fill up my front yard yelling for me to "come outside".
Just Plain Tom (and my evil twin Tomas).

Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 7/9/2023, 12:27 pm

Hanshi wrote:Stan, I've had more surgeries than I care to think about.  However, unlike your experiences I've never had any life threatening surgeries.  I can't even count the surgeries my squeeze went through.  In one 18 month period she had at least 5 or 6 of them but there were many others too.  She will be going into the hospital in a few days for heart surgery to close a hole in her heart; they said it was the cause of her stroke several months ago.  I did almost lose her years ago when she was rushed into surgery for severe peritonitis, her surgeon said she came scary close to leaving us.  

You take care of your self, Stan, and smooth sailing from here on out.  It's funny but every morning when I wake up the devil says, "oh Hell, Tom's up"!  I remember praying to THE BIG GUY asking why I was having such a hard life, filled with disappointments and misery.  I did receive an answer surprisingly.  He said to me, "Well Tommy I really can't say specifically; it's just that you piss me off".  But I think I'll be okay...err...just as long as a crowd with pitchforks and tapers don't fill up my front yard yelling for me to "come outside".
Just Plain Tom (and my evil twin Tomas).

Tom aka Tomas, I wish you and your gal all the good health in the world.
Had my visit with my VA doc yesterday, and, he was happy with the blood work.
Had both rotator cuffs repaired when I was working back in 2011 and 2015.
Didn't take long to tear them again, and I already knew the repair doesn't work long.
Doc told me the one shoulder need a reverse replacement.
I told him, Ive had enough of surgeries and hate being in a hospital, so I'll deal with whatever pain I get.
Back in 2016 I end up missing my hunting season with Jonathan and my oldest son, because of a surgery gone to hell and back.
I told them to go and have fun.
However, 3-1/2 months later, the wife and I went on a Caribbean Cruise, and, when I came back, went hog hunting with the boyz.
Doc said a lot of walking helps heal, and, man did I do a lot of walking.
I'm just thankful for all I have. I guess if I don't have what I want, I don't need it Very Happy
Mustang65
Mustang65

Hanshi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 7/9/2023, 1:18 pm

You seem to be making it through pretty well, Stan. I've had extensive surgery on both shoulders back around '97 or there about. Actually they were done a year apart with the rotator cuff being only a minor part of the problem. I had been doing a lot of boxing/training and they told me it was likely the cause. Didn't get anywhere near full use back and still can't punch the heavy bag, after...what, over 25 years. I still trained boxers/kickboxers but just could no longer do it myself. And until at least 6 years ago I could still kick like a mule and do other hand strikes. Doing aikido helped me stay super active until recently. Now we both have to be careful in bed because it is so easy to injure ourselves sleeping. Sleep
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 7/9/2023, 2:19 pm

Maybe you need a "bundling board" guys ...

For those that don't - a bundling board was a tool that helped facilitate bundling—an 18th century practice of pre-marital bed-sharing.

With getting older you may need a change. Newlog34
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Hanshi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 7/9/2023, 3:42 pm

With getting older you may need a change. Images-70
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 7/9/2023, 6:45 pm

Hanshi wrote:You seem to be making it through pretty well, Stan.  I've had extensive surgery on both shoulders back around '97 or there about.  Actually they were done a year apart with the rotator cuff being only a minor part of the problem.  I had been doing a lot of boxing/training and they told me it was likely the cause.  Didn't get anywhere near full use back and still can't punch the heavy bag, after...what, over 25 years.  I still trained boxers/kickboxers but just could no longer do it myself.  And until at least 6 years ago I could still kick like a mule and do other hand strikes.  Doing aikido helped me stay super active until recently.  Now we both have to be careful in bed because it is so easy to injure ourselves sleeping. Sleep

Tom, that just plain sucks. You know, the government can spend money and put men on the mon, space stations, send vehicles to mars, waste money looking for new planets, or alien life, bu, they can't spend money to research better cures for diseases and health!
Mustang65
Mustang65

Hanshi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 8/9/2023, 2:00 pm

Medical research is primarily privately funded. The governments need to start setting up defenses to deal with the coming alien attacks. They already have a good idea what solar system is the most likely to send a fleet, but there are billions of planets in the Milky Way. affraid
Hanshi
Hanshi

Winter Hawk, Buck Conner and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next