Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need rifle build advise please

2 posters

Go down

Need rifle build advise please Empty Need rifle build advise please

Post by Muzzlestuffer 30/1/2023, 8:22 pm

I'm gonna have a leman flintlock built in 58 caliber I need a few suggestions first is barrel I'm thinking 32" x 1-1/6" or should I go with a 36 x 1" should I go rice,green mountain or Coleman.? Then what lock to use I don't have a single flint in my collection so no experience on this but it must be correct style and reliable and weather proof i think I heard of such a lock that is somewhat more rain resistant ? Thanks in advance !
Ms

Muzzlestuffer

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Need rifle build advise please Empty Re: Need rifle build advise please

Post by Winter Hawk 31/1/2023, 12:48 pm

Rice, Green Mountain and Colerain all make good barrels. I have a Colerain on my "Hodgepodge" rifle and it shoots as well as possible, considering who's pulling the trigger. Go to Track of the Wolf, under kits, find the Leman and it will give you a rundown on both the GM and the Colerain barrels:
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/607/1/LEMAN-TRADE-RIFLE-FLINT-PARTS-LIST
Then go to the actual parts list:
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/GunKitDetail.aspx/607/1/LEMAN-TRADE-RIFLE-FLINT-PARTS-LIST/KIT-LE-16-FLINT
and their kit uses the L&R Late English Flint Lock.

Remember that the more metal you have in the barrel, the heavier it will be to tote around. I would go with the 1" across the flats.

Some folks love the "rainproof" locks, some don't I guess it all depends on a person's experience. I believe that L&R makes theirs about as water resistant as any.

Winter Hawk

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzzlestuffer 31/1/2023, 4:30 pm

Thanks for your input TVM has coleran barrels 36" standard i never shot one, i have rice and green mountain barrels in my front stuffers i was thinking going with the 32" 1-1/16" since it would be shorter than the 36" i thought the difference in length would be a trade off and get a little stiffer barrel and make a better thick woods gun which is what new York and Pennsylvania are. as far as the lock i have no flintlock experience just percussion's so all the feed back is greatly appreciated!!

Muzzlestuffer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down