Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American-Made Schuetzen Rifle

4 posters

Go down

American-Made Schuetzen Rifle Empty American-Made Schuetzen Rifle

Post by Buck Conner 21/12/2023, 12:15 pm

American-Made Schuetzen Rifle / Model: Schuetzen Muzzle-Loading Rifle

• Manufacturer: C. Bircher of St. Louis, MO
    Year: Mid to Late 19th Century
    Caliber: .40 Caliber
    Capacity: 1
    Barrel Length: 32”  
    OAL: 50″
    LOP: 12″
    Weight: 14.3 lbs
    Action Type: Single Shot Muzzle Loading
    Value $1,295.00

The Schuetzen rifle is steeped in European marksmanship heritage. Arriving on American shores with German settlers in the mid-19th century, it continues to command a dedicated following, transcending its role from mere equipment to an emblematic component of competitive shooting.

American-Made Schuetzen Rifle Schuet11

Crafted with meticulous attention to detail, Schuetzen rifles represent the artisanship of gunsmiths who labor intensively to achieve unparalleled accuracy. These rifles tip the scales at 12 to 15 pounds; they are balanced in such a way to facilitate unsupported, standing shots at distances of 200 yards, a testament to their design and the skill required to master them.

American-Made Schuetzen Rifle Schuet12

The Schuetzen design is unmistakable: they are often made with dramatic stock angles with prominent cheek pieces, oversized buttstock prongs, intricate grip/trigger guard designs, double-set triggers, and detailed checkering and engraving.

American-Made Schuetzen Rifle Schuet13

Transitioning from its early days as a muzzleloader, the Schuetzen evolved with the advent of breech-loading mechanisms. The celebrated falling block design, such as that found in the Ballard Schuetzen rifles, remains a coveted classic.

American-Made Schuetzen Rifle Schuet14

The Schuetzen rifle has influenced modern precision shooting disciplines. Its design principles, emphasizing balance and accuracy, have been foundational in the development of later target rifles. Moreover, the customization of Schuetzen rifles is a tradition in itself, with enthusiasts often personalizing their firearms with intricate carvings and metalwork, further cementing its status as a collector’s piece and a shooter’s pride.

American-Made Schuetzen Rifle Schuet15

This example features a one-piece walnut wood stock with hand checkering on the wrist and a nose cap made of horn. The stock features a crescent-shaped two-prong metal buttplate. Its intricate metal trigger guard acts as a point of contact for the shooting hand to operate the double set trigger. Attached to the underside of the 32″ octagonal heavy barrel is a contoured slot that houses the wood ramrod. Dovetailed to the top receiver tang is a removable aperture eyepiece rear sight with knurled edges. Dovetailed into the end of the barrel is a target globe front sight; this consists of a crosshair type aperture made up of a bead-up type post and a removable brass sleeve insert with a thin horizontal wire crossing through the center of the globe. This thin wire has a small break near where it connects to the sleeve. The top of the front sight hood is cutout, this cutout is covered by the brass sleeve. The top of the barrel and lock are marked with the maker and location “C. Bircher St. Louis” — the hammer features coarse knurling.

American-Made Schuetzen Rifle Schuet16

Overall, this rifle is in fine condition for its age; the woodwork shows scratches, scarring, and scattered impression marks. There is a non-continuous hairline fracture on the top of the wrist through the tang screw hole down the left side of the wrist; it measures approximately 3″ long and does not appear to affect the structural integrity of the rifle. The metalwork is Very Good; it shows a dark brown to light gray patina throughout the lock, hammer, receiver, and rear portion of the barrel. The barrel retains above 75% of the original finish. The metal furniture shows a dark patina where the light gray finish has chipped away. The bore shows defined rifling and typical darkness and spots.

Fun gun that I may consider looking closer at, don't know why as I have a couple I haven't shot yet.

American-Made Schuetzen Rifle New_si12

Last edited by Buck Conner on 1/1/2024, 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

uffda and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

American-Made Schuetzen Rifle Empty Re: American-Made Schuetzen Rifle

Post by Winter Hawk 27/12/2023, 2:31 pm

I think someone should slide that decimal point in the price one digit to the right.  $1,295.00 won't get you anything like what the photos show in this day & age!

Winter Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 27/12/2023, 4:31 pm

Just recently one sold for $800 and change at auction.
Mustang65
Mustang65

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Hawk 30/12/2023, 12:42 pm

Surely you jest!

Winter Hawk

Buck Conner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 30/12/2023, 1:47 pm

I saw this old Schuetzen rifle at Cabelas a few weeks ago.
American-Made Schuetzen Rifle Rifle_10

A Schuetzen is a type of rifle used in European long-range competition. Its German root is from the word Schütze which can be translated as “shooter.” The earliest usage was to denote units of marksmen or sharpshooters back in the days of muzzleloading firearms. Some sources claim that it was once used to describe archers or more specifically crossbowmen.

American-Made Schuetzen Rifle Rifle_11

These rifles are typically heavy and can weigh upwards of 15 pounds. All shooting with these rifles is done standing using a palm rest and butt stock prongs to help the shooter balance the rifle so the weight aids in stability.

The butt stock is so customized that the shooter for whom it was built is likely the only one who can fire the rifle accurately.

When Schuetzen became a competitive sport in Germany, many gun makers built these rifles to specifically fit an individual shooter. This means if you come across one in the wild, there is a good chance that it will not fit you with regard to grip, length of pull, cheek rest configuration or even how the butt plate fits your shoulder.

Front sights are typically hooded, and a large rear diopter sight is used to act as a sunshade, blinder and to aid in precision shooting. Unfortunately, this rifle lacked the rear sight.

Schuetzen Matches are shot at 200 yards with a specialized target. In some cases, the competitors go to great lengths in their quest for accuracy, such as pushing the lead bullet into the lands and grooves, for precise engagement. Then the case filled with powder and topped with a wad is loaded into the chamber behind it.

Sometimes the case is primed and charged with either loose powder or premeasured paper packets that are dropped in the case mouth. The bullet is then simply inserted inside the mouth of the case prior to chambering.
Fixed ammunition can be used, but the prior methods are believed to offer greater accuracy.

American-Made Schuetzen Rifle Rifle_12

Amazing engraving!

Reloading the same case is usually performed on the bench, although many modern practitioners seem to use lots of their hand loaded ammunition these days.

This particular Schuetzen was made by Haenel Original Aydt  and is chambered in 8.15 X 46R. This rimmed oddball caliber proved popular as it was strictly a sporting round and allowed the Germans to produce these rifles, ammunition and components when they were sanctioned against producing military arms after World War I.

Like many Schuetzen rifles of the period, it sports a set of double set triggers. In this case, the rear trigger must be set to allow the front trigger to fire. Weight is best measured in ounces. I honestly believe if one were to breathe to heavy on this trigger that it would fall.

American-Made Schuetzen Rifle Rifle_13

Amazing engraving!

The engraving and metalwork on this piece is exquisite and that may be the only justification for someone to buy this rifle. The stock was custom configured for someone in the 1920s or 1930s, the rear sight is missing and there are a few chunks of wood missing from the stock.

It might look nice in one of my safes, but I try to only buy firearms that I can actually take out and shoot. The $1300 price tag is a bit much for what would end up as a “wallhanger” for me.

Still, for a student of firearms history, this represents an era that is a bit forgotten by most, yet important with regard to the development of modern marksmanship in a number of ways.

American-Made Schuetzen Rifle Rifle_14

American-Made Schuetzen Rifle Sign-o42
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 30/12/2023, 2:05 pm

Winter Hawk wrote:Surely you jest!
Nope, not joking.
Mustang65
Mustang65

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 30/12/2023, 2:08 pm

Buck Conner wrote:I saw this old Schuetzen rifle at Cabelas a few weeks ago.
American-Made Schuetzen Rifle Rifle_10

A Schuetzen is a type of rifle used in European long-range competition. Its German root is from the word Schütze which can be translated as “shooter.” The earliest usage was to denote units of marksmen or sharpshooters back in the days of muzzleloading firearms. Some sources claim that it was once used to describe archers or more specifically crossbowmen.

American-Made Schuetzen Rifle Rifle_11

These rifles are typically heavy and can weigh upwards of 15 pounds. All shooting with these rifles is done standing using a palm rest and butt stock prongs to help the shooter balance the rifle so the weight aids in stability.

The butt stock is so customized that the shooter for whom it was built is likely the only one who can fire the rifle accurately.

When Schuetzen became a competitive sport in Germany, many gun makers built these rifles to specifically fit an individual shooter. This means if you come across one in the wild, there is a good chance that it will not fit you with regard to grip, length of pull, cheek rest configuration or even how the butt plate fits your shoulder.

Front sights are typically hooded, and a large rear diopter sight is used to act as a sunshade, blinder and to aid in precision shooting. Unfortunately, this rifle lacked the rear sight.

Schuetzen Matches are shot at 200 yards with a specialized target. In some cases, the competitors go to great lengths in their quest for accuracy, such as pushing the lead bullet into the lands and grooves, for precise engagement. Then the case filled with powder and topped with a wad is loaded into the chamber behind it.

Sometimes the case is primed and charged with either loose powder or premeasured paper packets that are dropped in the case mouth. The bullet is then simply inserted inside the mouth of the case prior to chambering.
Fixed ammunition can be used, but the prior methods are believed to offer greater accuracy.

American-Made Schuetzen Rifle Rifle_12

Amazing engraving!

Reloading the same case is usually performed on the bench, although many modern practitioners seem to use lots of their hand loaded ammunition these days.

This particular Schuetzen was made by Haenel Original Aydt  and is chambered in 8.15 X 46R. This rimmed oddball caliber proved popular as it was strictly a sporting round and allowed the Germans to produce these rifles, ammunition and components when they were sanctioned against producing military arms after World War I.

Like many Schuetzen rifles of the period, it sports a set of double set triggers. In this case, the rear trigger must be set to allow the front trigger to fire. Weight is best measured in ounces. I honestly believe if one were to breathe to heavy on this trigger that it would fall.

American-Made Schuetzen Rifle Rifle_13

Amazing engraving!

The engraving and metalwork on this piece is exquisite and that may be the only justification for someone to buy this rifle. The stock was custom configured for someone in the 1920s or 1930s, the rear sight is missing and there are a few chunks of wood missing from the stock.

It might look nice in one of my safes, but I try to only buy firearms that I can actually take out and shoot. The $1300 price tag is a bit much for what would end up as a “wallhanger” for me.

Still, for a student of firearms history, this represents an era that is a bit forgotten by most, yet important with regard to the development of modern marksmanship in a number of ways.

American-Made Schuetzen Rifle Rifle_14

American-Made Schuetzen Rifle Sign-o42
Not a bad price for that condition. I believe Jonathan and me would have to shoot it and then hang it up.
Mustang65
Mustang65

Buck Conner and uffda like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by uffda 31/12/2023, 3:17 pm

I have always admired these rifles, the old traditions, and the gunbuilding of exceptional quality, function, and beauty. They are a true work of art.
uffda
uffda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down