Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Patched Round Ball Inconsistency?

4 posters

Go down

Patched Round Ball Inconsistency? Empty Patched Round Ball Inconsistency?

Post by FrontierGander 27/1/2022, 4:22 pm

Patched Round Ball inconsistencies

This subject popped up on another forum but it was more about Round Ball Weight from factory VS hand cast.

The discussion was the dry patch lube yada, along with sorting your round balls out and getting rid of the lighter balls.

I do all of my round ball casting and can tell you this, store bought is normally more accurate with a lot less throw back in the pot, round balls.

I weighed some premade .490" balls from Traditions that came with my Hawken Woodsman and they are all within 4 grains of each other. You can not ask for much better consistency IMO.

After a good deal of testing, even out to 150 yards, I found that sorting your balls to within 1 1/2 grains of each other was a complete waste of time. If you are hand casting and know how you can not make them a consistent weight, then it might be a good idea to weigh and sort them, but otherwise, its a waste of time because +/- 4 grains has never caused any fliers in any of my rifles.

What causes fliers/inconsistent shots with patched round balls?

Typically for me during testing, Inconsistent lubrication from patch to patch!

While hunting I normally dope the patch up a LITTLE heavier than normal so I can get a good coating of rust protection down the bore. All other patches are evenly coated with a thin layer on them, just enough to where it looks like they were dipped in a very thin oil.

Some other times its not even the ball nor the patch lube but the RIFLE it self!

You all see how I always bed my rifles with either accra glass or lately, JB Weld. That's because that has ALWAYS been my accuracy killer. On the Traditions/CVA rifles and even the GPR, the tang screw"s" just loosen up after a few shots and it starts to throw shots all over the place. Wood is soft and it needs something strong to make a solid bed for the two parts to rest.

Inconsistency in cleaning the bore between each shot " If you do that " is another thing that I notice will open my group or throw a shot.

When I swab, I swab to fully clean that bore like it is when I first go out. Yes, it takes many patches, but its that first shot accuracy I am trying to obtain.

Holding the rifle tight for the first couple shots and then loosely holding it the first 2-3 shots, certainly is not consistent and does not help accuracy.

In the end, 90% of the time, its just me getting the sights lined up a little incorrectly due to sun glare off the barrel or even off the top of the sight.

What are some inconsistencies you've run into while shooting the Patched Round Ball?
FrontierGander
FrontierGander
Admin

https://bs-bp.forumotion.com

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Patched Round Ball Inconsistency? Empty Re: Patched Round Ball Inconsistency?

Post by Fyrstyk 28/1/2022, 8:01 am

It has been my experience, with my rifles, that cast balls that are 3 or more grains lighter or heaver than the average tend to be flyers in my groups. When I cast 45, 50, 54 & .58 balls, I throw back in the pot those balls that are above or below +/- 1 grain from the average. With my .32 & .36 cast balls, those that are +/- .5 grain get thrown back in the pot. The smaller balls seem to be more affected by weight discrepancies. Casting for me is just one more part of muzzle loader shooting that I enjoy, so being a little strict on the weight of the balls I cast does not bother me.

Fyrstyk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 28/1/2022, 9:40 am

I agree, 1-4 grain normally doesn't cause a flier. Operating error usually causes that even when they won't admit it. Also barrel bedding is definitely a must....an unbedded barrel is definitely an accuracy killer, not only with muzzleloaders, but also high powered rifles.
Mustang65
Mustang65

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 5/2/2022, 11:44 am

Fyrstyk wrote:It has been my experience, with my rifles, that cast balls that are 3 or more grains lighter or heaver than the average tend to be flyers in my groups.  When I cast 45, 50, 54 & .58 balls, I throw back in the pot those balls that are above or below +/- 1 grain from the average.  With my .32 & .36 cast balls,  those that are +/- .5 grain get thrown back in the pot.  The smaller balls seem to be more affected by weight discrepancies.  Casting for me is just one more part of muzzle loader shooting that I enjoy, so being a little strict on the weight of the balls I cast does not bother me.

When I cast .50, .58 & .60 balls, I throw back in the pot those balls that are above or below +/- 1 grain from the average like you do. Like you casting is just one part of muzzle loader shooting, fun times.

Patched Round Ball Inconsistency? Huntin27
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down