Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In freezing weather, I have added ...

Go down

In freezing weather, I have added ... Empty In freezing weather, I have added ...

Post by Buck Conner 3/6/2022, 1:19 pm

In freezing weather, I have added ...

In freezing weather, I have added side curtains to my fly -- can't document them, but they sure cut down on the drafts & hold in the heat from the rocks that I carefully place so they don't touch anything.

Exploding rocks, an old wife's tale we've all heard, is to never use river rock around the fire, the extended period of being under water makes it soaked through and when you heat them the water boils and expands thus an explosion.

Soapstone is used by several Stove Co.'s to line their wood stoves, once heated it holds the heat for
a long time! Never trusted river rocks of any kind, but BASALT, usually a black colored rock found
nearly everywhere is one of the best to use. In its previous life it was lava that has become a
metamorphic rock over the millennia. Most limestone and sandstone "spall "when heated (explode) so avoid them. As a rule, choose smooth rounded rocks found as far from water as practical for the location and you will usually be safe, but if a rock starts to pop or crackle, pull it out and let it cool and forget that one. for a "flat rock" that is cheaper than soapstone and weighs about the same just buy hard fire brick from the brick dealer, not mountain correct that I know of, but it's as old as the kilns of biblical times.

Boughs or leaves under your bedroll, lay a horse blanket over them as well. In snow deep enough to
trench, If you dig a two foot or more deep depression, and lay more boughs or other debris over it, you keep yourself out of the wind. Snow caves and igloos are good for extended camps but take care not to work up a sweat in building them, condensation on the skin is one sure way to freeze your butt off.

On a similar note, don't kneel in the snow if you can help it. Cold lower extremities, because of not
Taking simple precautions are the most miserable I've dealt with. Cold feet and heads come next. The three rock nights can also be eased by digging a couple of long fire pits on each side of you. Careful that you don't roll too far one way or the other. Don't overlook snow as an effective insulator. Have had several inches of snow fall on me during the night and found I was warmer for it. I've tried all kinds of things in the field and can attest to each one's merits. Various levels of effort yield various levels of comfort. Another freezing weather trick is to dig a trench where you're going to put your bed, put in a layer of good hot coals from the fire, cover it with about 6" of dirt. Wait about 30 min, make up your bed on top of the buried coal bed.

Usually keeps you warm for about 6 hrs if you've used enough coal. Don't skimp on the layer of dirt on top of the coals, or you'll have some uncomfortable hot spots. I've also built the fire in the trench & just scattered it out after it burned down then buried it -- works too but it's advisable to take out the big pieces of unburned wood & just use the coals.

I remember someone had a metal box that he carried a heated stone in, it was more of a item for a
cabin. He used it like a portable heater, hung it on a lantern pole. The stone was soap stone, soap
stone a good rock to seek out to use as a heater rock.

Using hay or straw under the bed roll inplace of the pine boughs works well if available & the local
rules & regulations don't object. Plain tree leaves work well too if you have enough of 'em.

When using these materials & spending more than one night, "fluff up" your "mattress" of straw, hay, or leaves each night because they'll pack down & lose both their cushioning & insulating abilities. I like to roll up my blanket(s) / bed roll about mid day, "fluff" the "mattress", & let it dry out a bit because it will draw moisture which also reduces its insulating ability.

In freezing weather, I have added ... Bottom52
pirat
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down