Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

With the HOT Weather we are experiencing ...

2 posters

Go down

With the HOT Weather we are experiencing ... Empty With the HOT Weather we are experiencing ...

Post by Buck Conner 6/9/2023, 2:45 pm

SUBECT: With the HOT Weather we are experiencing ...

WARNING

In all the years of dealing with gun stock finishes I have never experienced this issue.

On the refinished (stripes like the originals), my H.E. Leman by Les Bennett he used Birchwood Casey's "Original Finish".  Jonhan has been using this too, don't know if he has experienced this issue?

I met Les for lunch, we left this gun in a gun case in a hot car (that was the problem - hot car). Our lunch break was 45 minutes long then we returned to the vehicle. Surprise the new finish had wrinkled on both sides of the butt. It was like coarse sanding paper, made both of us sick. Took the gun home and let it sit for a week until I was sure it was dry, then after talking to UFFDA took #400 grit sandpaper and lightly started sanding. Lightly was the key word. I have one side done using #400 grit as a starter and finishing with #600 grit paper. Didn't hurt the base coat or the striping thank goodness...   Now I'll tackle the other side doing the same.

I mentioned this to our local gunsmith, and he has experienced the same problem on customers guns. He told me it wasn't just Birchwood Casey's products but several other known brands.

WARNING Don't leave your guns in a hot car or you may experience the same issues.

With the HOT Weather we are experiencing ... Newlog33
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

uffda and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

With the HOT Weather we are experiencing ... Empty Re: With the HOT Weather we are experiencing ...

Post by uffda 7/9/2023, 4:16 pm

Yup, hot vehicles. Could of course place between the legs to keep at room temperature.
uffda
uffda

Back to top Go down

With the HOT Weather we are experiencing ... Empty Re: With the HOT Weather we are experiencing ...

Post by Buck Conner 9/9/2023, 10:24 am

uffda wrote:Yup, hot vehicles.  Could of course place between the legs to keep at room temperature.

Depends on what she looks like and how young is she to put my gun between her legs ... is that what you meant Uffda ...

With the HOT Weather we are experiencing ... Tlr_bu11
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 22/9/2023, 11:14 am

H.E. Leman Trade Rifle (repairs)
I sanded the wrinkles off the finish (damage from sitting in a hot car) with #400 wet/dry sandpaper, then went over it again with #600 wet/dry paper, now really smooth.

Now waiting on a tang screw from TOTW (original screw had a very thin screwdriver slot that I butchered getting out).

We have replaced all the pins from very small to 1/16-inch diameter, the small pins were impossible to get out without damaging the stock.

I like to do a complete tear down on the firearms I use at least a couple times a year.

Once the new tang screw is installed, I'll show you pictures of this overhaul. Dark stripes applied on stock (copied from an original), and reshaped nose cap also like the original.

Turns out to be a fun project, nice to have an original sitting on the gun rack to copy.

With the HOT Weather we are experiencing ... Sign-o11
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down