Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's the weather like where your at ???

4 posters

Go down

What's the weather like where your at ??? Empty What's the weather like where your at ???

Post by Buck Conner 26/10/2023, 8:55 am

What's the weather like where your at ???

Our weather has turned from a short fall season to a cold winter day (no snow here), but there is on top of the mountains 5 miles away.

Even our home grown chipmonk is working his butt off gathering bird seed out of the bird feeder pan in the backyard. In the spring we'll have millet seed coning up everywhere ...

What's the weather like where your at ??? Buffan12

Old Bull is warming up for the colder weather ...  What's the weather like where your at ??? Camp1010

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

Back to top Go down

What's the weather like where your at ??? Empty Re: What's the weather like where your at ???

Post by OldMtnMan 29/10/2023, 5:51 am

In the low 20's and snowing.

It's why I always liked hunting the muzzy season which is mid Sept. The 2nd rifle season started yesterday. No thanks. Brrrrr
OldMtnMan
OldMtnMan

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

What's the weather like where your at ??? Empty Re: What's the weather like where your at ???

Post by Mustang65 29/10/2023, 8:56 am

18° and not snowing yet. Supposed to get 1-3 inches. Monument has 18".
Having coffee and a nice fire in the wood stove...nice and comfy.
Mustang65
Mustang65

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontierGander 29/10/2023, 9:14 am

24 and supposed to get an inch.
FrontierGander
FrontierGander
Admin

https://bs-bp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 29/10/2023, 12:38 pm

We have had 70 degree weather all week, may go to low 60's next week according to local station.

In the next life I want to be a weatherman, no matter what they say, right or wrong (most of the time). They never get fired as long as they keep smiling ...

What's the weather like where your at ??? Buffan14

What's the weather like where your at ??? Pigs14

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by OldMtnMan 30/10/2023, 5:32 am

It's 2 degrees now. If I didn't have to take Buddy out i'd stay in all day. It's suppose to warm up tomorrow.
OldMtnMan
OldMtnMan

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontierGander 30/10/2023, 6:02 am

11 right now. Slight breeze really chills you.
FrontierGander
FrontierGander
Admin

https://bs-bp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by OldMtnMan 30/10/2023, 6:21 am

It warmed up! Now it's 3 degrees. Buddy thinks cold weather is fun. Knuckehead.
OldMtnMan
OldMtnMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 30/10/2023, 7:58 am

OldMtnMan wrote:It warmed up! Now it's 3 degrees. Buddy thinks cold weather is fun. Knuckehead.

9° was the low here. 13° now. Had only 2-3" of snow.
Mustang65
Mustang65

Back to top Go down

Post by OldMtnMan 30/10/2023, 8:05 am

None of you are going hunting?
OldMtnMan
OldMtnMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 30/10/2023, 8:49 am

OldMtnMan wrote:None of you are going hunting?

Maybe next year. We have been discussing 2nd & 3rd rifle seasons for deer & elk.
I've been itching to use my Winchester model 70, 30-06. It has a beautiful Boyd stock that the boys got me for Christmas many years ago. Or my new Springfield .308 that Stan got me for one Christmas.
Mustang65
Mustang65

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 30/10/2023, 9:38 am

OldMtnMan wrote:In the low 20's and snowing.

It's why I always liked hunting the muzzy season which is mid Sept. The 2nd rifle season started yesterday. No thanks. Brrrrr

When we still lived near Estes Park Colorado we could draw late season permits (nobody wanted to hunt in late December). The hunting outside the Park was always good for elk and deer, once in a while a black bear. Only draw back was the weather, usually below 10 degrees and many seasons we hunted in below zero periods. Those temps made for sold frozen snow that helped you pull your game out to your vehicle. When its that cold snowmobiles become useless with solid ice conditions. We used the old WWII cleated boots to make it possible to standup and move around.

Uffda can tell you about hunting late season in old #Unit 20, miss the smell of the small camp fires and toasted sandwiches.

Stan talking about guns, I took a Ruger Model 77 in .308 (cut it down to a 16-1/2 inch barrel length, cut off the pistol grip, slimmed it down, had it re-checkered and added a straight 6 power Burris Mini scope making a 5-3/4 pound gun. It would wake you up when sighting in, but never felt recoil when used on game. Kermit and Uffda would complain about the weight of their rifles after packing them around all day in snow up to your waist, mine was great.

What's the weather like where your at ??? Snowyr10

Estes Park, Colorado (Snowy Range)

Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by OldMtnMan 30/10/2023, 10:51 am

I'm afraid my hunting future is over. My back has gotten too bad. I tried but I can't dot no matter how hard I try. I have good memories hunting. That will have to be enough.

My other passion is fly fishing. I've done that as long as hunting. I gave it up the same time as hunting a couple of years ago. I gave hunting another try. Fly fishing deserves another chance too. I'll do my best to prepare for next spring. The last scene of The River Runs Through it reminds me it may be my future. I don't look as old as him but I will and probably not far away.

Check out Norman as an old coot.

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=577856425&sxsrf=AM9HkKkuCkXzuYd6bDv_dY0virC_djYKYQ:1698683481761&q=A+River+Runs+Through+It+ending+monologue&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi9m5CMmZ6CAxWrFTQIHYUBDusQ1QJ6BAgnEAE&biw=1707&bih=861&dpr=1.5#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:7ff547c2,vid:ixa3-fBaaaA,st:0
OldMtnMan
OldMtnMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 30/10/2023, 11:56 am

Buck Conner wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote:In the low 20's and snowing.

When we still lived near Estes Park Colorado we could draw late season permits (nobody wanted to hunt in late December). The hunting outside the Park was always good for elk and deer, once in a while a black bear. Only draw back was the weather, usually below 10 degrees and many seasons we hunted in below zero periods. Those temps made for sold frozen snow that helped you pull your game out to your vehicle. When its that cold snowmobiles become useless with solid ice conditions. We used the old WWII cleated boots to make it possible to standup and move around.

Uffda can tell you about hunting late season in old #Unit 20, miss the smell of the small camp fires and toasted sandwiches.

Stan talking about guns, I took a Ruger Model 77 in .308 (cut it down to a 16-1/2 inch barrel length, cut off the pistol grip, slimmed it down, had it re-checkered and added a straight 6 power Burris Mini scope making a 5-3/4 pound gun. It would wake you up when sighting in, but never felt recoil when used on game. Kermit and Uffda would complain about the weight of their rifles after packing them around all day in snow up to your waist, mine was great.

What's the weather like where your at ??? Snowyr10

Estes Park, Colorado (Snowy Range)

We used to hunt 2nd or 3rd rifle season on Rabbit Ears Pass, Buffalo Pass, Gore pass range east of Steamboat Springs, and Black Mountain north of Craig, Colorado. We also hunted ML season when Jonathan got older on the Gore range, and the area between McCoy and Burns around the Pisgah mountains.
Mustang65
Mustang65

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 30/10/2023, 5:36 pm

Mustang65 wrote:

We used to hunt 2nd or 3rd rifle season on Rabbit Ears Pass, Buffalo Pass, Gore pass range east of Steamboat Springs, and Black Mountain north of Craig, Colorado. We also hunted ML season when Jonathan got older on the Gore range, and the area between McCoy and Burns around the Pisgah mountains.

Have hunted that area you mentioned on a couple of private ranches in the early 80's. Now those locations have changed hands making it harder to find prime hunting spots. Several have leased to private hunt clubs in the Rabbit Ears area as well as where we hunted around Estes Park. We are starting to see the same here in Utah, the leases help pay the taxes on the property.  !@#$%^&*  Neutral   Mad

My grandfather's farm near Penn State PA. is 1,500 acres of prime whitetail, black bear and small game hunting ground, now leased to an outfit out of Texas. TAXES TAXES TAXES ...

What's the weather like where your at ??? Use_th27
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 30/10/2023, 6:13 pm

We only hunted a private ranch twice. The Zelle ranch in the Ludlow/Gulnare area of Colorado, just less than 10 miles from our homestead. It was convenient, but our public land hunts were always better and more fun.
Also a friend had some property near us that we hunted one year. Not great. Decided public was the only way to go.
Mustang65
Mustang65

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 31/10/2023, 11:29 am

Same here for public land (others kept the game moving) that was always good for us to watch that movement. But we had a private ranch property (next door to our 300 acres) that was 10,000 acres that bordered one side of Roosevelt National Park (Estes Park area). Fun times ...

What's the weather like where your at ??? Mounta29
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down