Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GRRW.CA Leman Trade Rifle Sent For Repairs.

4 posters

Go down

GRRW.CA Leman Trade Rifle Sent For Repairs. Empty GRRW.CA Leman Trade Rifle Sent For Repairs.

Post by Buck Conner 11/7/2023, 10:32 am

SUBJECT: GRRW.CA Leman Trade Rifle Sent For Repairs.

Hey guys,

To start with this rifle started life very hard, was sold and got damaged in shipping, sent back (refund) and then sent to FrontierGander for needed help. This rifle has never been shot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What's going on with the GRRW.CA Leman Trade Rifle.

I was talking to Les Bennett GRRW Collectors Association custom gunsmith about the marks on the stock and on the forearm. He suggested we do the stock in a faux figure hand painted stripes, which was a common finish seen on antique H.E. Leman rifles.

ISSUES
  1. 1.)   Couldn’t get the trigger guard off because of the pins being so small (need to replace small pins with larger pins for trigger guard). Trigger pin is a little larger size, that size would work for the guard. I dinged a few marks  on the lock side were my punch slid off several times, I stopped (was getting sick making those marks on such a nice rifle).

2.)  Look at the clearance on the lock to stock area (was afraid of chipping this when I removed the lock), needs a little more clearance. I like to clean my guns taking them apart checking for rust, etc.

3.)  Barrel wedge key is too short, needs a longer one so barrel is supported on both side of stock. I found a larger one but its really thick (would need thinned down).

4.)  The breech plug screw head and the lock plate screw need larger slots for screwdriver. May need to replace them, had a hard time removing both screws.

5.) Enclosed is a bottle of Birchwood Casey “Genuine Oil”.

Would like this finish over the faux figure hand painted stripes your doing like done on the one at TOTW that you did.

SEE: https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/492/1/AAU-753

GRRW.CA Leman Trade Rifle Sent For Repairs. Use_cl11

[/center]

Last edited by Buck Conner on 29/10/2023, 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumot

Back to top Go down

GRRW.CA Leman Trade Rifle Sent For Repairs. Empty Re: GRRW.CA Leman Trade Rifle Sent For Repairs.

Post by Buck Conner 11/7/2023, 10:40 am

The suggested repairs are my personal issues (Uffda will tell you "that's just the way Buck works, perfect or its sold").

This rifle along with the GRRW.CA NW Trade Gun are going to see alot of range time. I had an early GRRW Leman Trade Rifle with the same barrel as this and it was a shooter. Thinking this new gun will bew the same.

Last edited by Buck Conner on 29/10/2023, 1:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

uffda likes this post

Back to top Go down

GRRW.CA Leman Trade Rifle Sent For Repairs. Empty Re: GRRW.CA Leman Trade Rifle Sent For Repairs.

Post by uffda 17/7/2023, 2:53 pm

🤣 that's true, however if it's on the shelf... uffda will probably reply, hey let's make a deal. 😂
uffda
uffda

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 17/7/2023, 4:44 pm

Uffda, you interested or just thinking out loud ???

GRRW.CA Leman Trade Rifle Sent For Repairs. Old_ma10
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by uffda 22/7/2023, 2:10 pm

Doesn't hurt to talk, need more info.
uffda
uffda

Back to top Go down

Post by uffda 9/8/2023, 4:08 pm

Sounds like a fair price.
uffda
uffda

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 9/8/2023, 7:04 pm

Too danged rich for my blood!
Mustang65
Mustang65

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Hanshi and uffda like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 28/10/2023, 1:41 pm

!@#$%^&*

Last edited by Buck Conner on 29/10/2023, 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 28/10/2023, 1:52 pm

I need take pictures to show you guys the finished H.E. Leman Trade Rifle, it's a beauty now with everything mentioned corrected that Carl and Les suggested. Plus Jonathan worked it over from the shipping damage and JB contact cemented the breech area (glass bedded).

Nice custom GRRW Collectors Association Leman 1/2 stock Trade Rifle will probably sell it and the GRRW Collectors Association NW Trade Gun in time.

GRRW.CA Leman Trade Rifle Sent For Repairs. Img_8911
GRRW.CA Leman Trade Rifle Sent For Repairs. Img_8912

I'll take some pictures of this rifle, be back in an hour.

Last edited by Buck Conner on 29/10/2023, 12:32 pm; edited 4 times in total
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 28/10/2023, 4:00 pm

Buck Conner wrote:
Buck Conner wrote:Here's what Les Bennett and Carl Walker are looking at to repair.

GRRW.CA Leman Trade Rifle built by Les Bennett GRRW.CA #L02 - needs looked - at a few small rub marks on the stock and on the forearm. He suggested we do the stock in a faux figure hand painted stripes, which was the common finish on antique H.E. Leman rifles from the factory in the 1840's and 1850's.
1.)   Couldn’t get the trigger guard off because of the very small pins (he's replacing the small pins with larger pins for trigger guard). Trigger pin is a little larger size and fine, would work for the guard.
2.)  Clearance on the lock to stock area (is tight, he will open it up a touch), little more clearance. I like to clean my guns taking them apart checking for rust, etc.
3.)  Barrel wedge key is too short, needs a longer one. That has been taken care of.
4.)  The breech plug screw head and the lock plate screw need to have a larger slots for screwdriver.
5.) Refinish with Birchwood Casey “Genuine Oil”. Would like this finish over the faux figure hand painted stripes Les has done.
6.) Slight bevel on edge of nose cap to barrel, would give a custom look.

I personally think the Leman at TOTW was a little high on price but it SOLD for: $3,500 WOW.

What are your thoughts Uffda ...

I guess it's worth whatever someone's willing to pay for it.
Mustang65
Mustang65

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck Conner 28/10/2023, 4:14 pm

Mustang65 wrote:
I guess it's worth whatever someone's willing to pay for it.

Stan,

The prices alone for parts has gone off the table, a year ago a Hawken or Leman parts kit alone was in the $750 to $900 range. Today a complete kit for the same guns we were building is now in the $1,050 to $1,200 range. The labor has done the same (close to same figures as the parts), it's crazy, only the well-heeled can afford these guns now. At GRRW Collectors Association our sales are down to 35% in comparison to a year ago.

GRRW.CA Leman Trade Rifle Sent For Repairs. Leman_12

GRRW.CA Leman Trade Rifle Sent For Repairs. Conten14

GRRW.CA Leman Trade Rifle Sent For Repairs. Conten13

GRRW.CA Leman Trade Rifle Sent For Repairs. Kit10

I'll be back with better pictures ...
GRRW.CA Leman Trade Rifle Sent For Repairs. Img_8910

This is an example of what our forefathers carried when in the woods, whether hunting or scouting. I've researched a dozen 1840 - 1859 mountaineers and what they carried daily, these gentlemen were providers for their settlements, supplying meat and warning of activity in the surrounding forest.

Look at what David Cooke carried, this is just one example saved from the past ...

GRRW.CA Leman Trade Rifle Sent For Repairs. Cook1010

GRRW.CA Leman Trade Rifle Sent For Repairs. Mounta28
Buck Conner
Buck Conner

Back to top Go down

Post by bbc 17/4/2024, 8:45 am

I have seen this Leman and got to hold it, very nice gun. Doc White and Buck always go over each GRRW.CA firearm. Doc likes to be able to clean them after being shot, that means being able to break them down all the way, rust is always a concern in his mind. So the gun needs to be easy to strip it down.

Like the pictures of the complete set (hunting bag, possible bag and all the items shown), with this setup your good for a day or weeks in the outback. Thanks - gives me some ideas ...
bbc
bbc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down