Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build

+2
Mustang65
FrontierGander
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  Empty Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build

Post by Jcast 1/4/2024, 8:02 pm

Received a Traditions St. Louis Hawken kit a few weeks back. Took my time dry fitting and waiting on the right tools to adjust the inletting to fit the Lock, Barrel Tang, Trigger assembly and Trigger guard. All needed attention to fit properly.

Completed the dry fitting then proceeded to bedding the barrel tang area as there was a pretty sizable gap under the bottom. Bedding went well and I was pretty happy with the finished job. Next bedded the trigger assembly.

Proceeded to sanding 120, 220, 400 grit - sand/wet/de-whisker 3 times with each grit. Nice surface at 400 grit. Applied 4 coats of Birchwood Casey Walnut - diluted 50:50 then learned that I should apply it as received. Next 2 coats of stain - BC Rusty Walnut followed by 2 more coats of the Walnut. Happy with the stain.

Applied 8 coats of BC - Genuine Oil over the next week. Ran out of Genuine Oil and switched to Tru Oil for the last 2 coats. The stock is now hanging to cure 3 weeks before buffing and waxing - Johnsons Paste Wax.

The stock is stunning at least to me.

Draw sanded the barrel and the brass fittings - will darken with Jax Brass Black per a video by Jim Kibler - this weekend when I get home.

I apologize for no pics. I have not figured out how to post them yet. I will get it figured out and follow on this post with pics because we know, no pics, never happened!

I made a couple of minor mistakes, nothing earth shaking, but I've learned a ton and received great suggestions from several forum members. Thank You Gentlemen! Jonathon thank you for the emails and information.

All for now....jcast!

Jcast

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  Empty Re: Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build

Post by FrontierGander 2/4/2024, 6:35 am

You are very welcome! I look forward to the pics. 
FrontierGander
FrontierGander
Admin

https://bs-bp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 2/4/2024, 9:14 am

Hi Jcast.
If you go to the FORUM SUPPORT CENTER, I posted a thread on how to add images.
It is very easy. If you have any questions, just get hold of me and I'll walk you through it.
Looking forward to seeing those pics.
Stan
Mustang65
Mustang65

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 2/4/2024, 10:44 am

Mustang65 thank you. I’ll have a look tonight once finished work!

Jcast

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 2/4/2024, 2:09 pm

Jcast wrote:Mustang65 thank you. I’ll have a look tonight once finished work!

Jcast

You are very welcome. We are always here to help. Very Happy
Mustang65
Mustang65

Jcast likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 2/4/2024, 2:58 pm

Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  Big_ga11

Beta Test to add a photo of the Traditions St. Louis - Hawken kit - gap under the tang

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 2/4/2024, 3:02 pm

So I had to study and solve a few issues with the inletting on the kit. As you can see there was a substantial gap under the tang. The barrel lined up vertically, so I bedded on each side, behind and under the tang with JB Weld - following Jonathon's build a hawken post. Once I had some confidence in mixing and using the bedding compound, I applied a small amount to the wood where the trigger assembly sets on the inletting.

Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  Barrel11

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 2/4/2024, 3:12 pm

I used a cabinet scraper to remove the wood above the barrel tang. Used a 8" half round file to profile the stock where it drops into the wrist. Sanded 120, 220, 400 grit and wet/dry - 3 times at each grit. Stained with 4 coats of diluted BC Walnut stain, 2 coats of neat BC Rusty Walnut and finished with 2 coats of neat BC Walnut.
Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  Little10
Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  2_neat10

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 2/4/2024, 3:17 pm

Over the last week, I applied 5 coats of BC Genuine Oil and buff lightly with 0000 scotchbrite. This past weekend I added 3 more coats of Genuine Oil until I spilled the remainder. Switched to BC Tru Oil for the last 2 coats. The stock is dark with beautiful red undertones and the beech popcorn shows through. I am really happy with the color and depth of the oil finish. Will put the barrel back on Thursday and let it set for a few weeks before treating with Johnsons Paste wax.

Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  10_coa10
Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  10_coa11

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 2/4/2024, 3:26 pm

Oops didn't mean to post 4 pics. Sorry.

Next up - will finish sanding the brass. I draw sanded the barrel to 320 grit and it is ready to be blued. I am going to follow a Jim Kibler video using JAX brass darkener and do the brass as well. A little nervous but should be ok. I can always sand it off and re do as contingency plan. Debating on using BC blue removal on the lock to remove the case harden blue. Folks I've shown the rifle really like the lock as pictured above.

Getting close to finishing. I've acquired all the accoutrements, powder, ball, patch, lube, range rod. Working hard to be patient and enjoy the process.

All for now - thanks for letting me post and helping me figure out the picture posting

Jcast

uffda and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 2/4/2024, 5:59 pm

Jcast it is looking good cheers& pics look good.
Mustang65
Mustang65

uffda and Jcast like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 2/4/2024, 6:07 pm

Thank you again for the coaching on the pics. Will get it blued and put together soon. Planning on a fall harvest hunt for whitetail. In my youth never took a deer with a muzzleloader. Need to rectify that now!

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 2/4/2024, 6:26 pm

Jcast wrote:Thank you again for the coaching on the pics. Will get it blued and put together soon. Planning on a fall harvest hunt for whitetail. In my youth never took a deer with a muzzleloader. Need to rectify that now!

We just put in for elk and deer tags here in Colorado. Should know something by the end of May!
Mustang65
Mustang65

Jcast likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 2/4/2024, 8:51 pm

Fingers crossed!

Jcast

Mustang65 and Jcast like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang65 3/4/2024, 8:58 am

Jcast wrote:Fingers crossed!

Me, Jonathan and my oldest son also Stan put in for elk & deer for muzzleloader season in September.
Jonathan lives out on the Eastern Plains of Colorado so he also put in for an antelope tag for December rifle season.
If he gets his antelope tag we are going with him to have some fun. Antelope can be a real challenge. They spook real easy, but awesome.
Mustang65
Mustang65

Jcast likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 3/4/2024, 10:20 am

Chasing Speed Goats doesn’t get much better than that…..except of course Elk in the mountains!

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by uffda 4/4/2024, 11:13 am

Looking nice. You should have a very fine rifle when you're done. Next, you will have to make meat with your new rifle in the upcoming deer season. That'll complete the build. Good luck.
uffda
uffda

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 4/4/2024, 7:35 pm

Thank you for your kind comments Uffda! I will blue the metal this weekend. Got my Johnson peep sight and front blade today when I got home. Have to cut screws down and file the tenon on the blade sight as its wider than the dovetail. Hope to have her finished this weekend and get it on paper. Got my fall 2024 spot in the deer woods brushed in as I hunt from the ground with shooting sticks. And a low chair. Such a good learning experience. Will build anmijntain rifle next then a flintlock! Round things out with an 1851 Colt Navy London model revolver! Fun times to be sure !!!!

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 6/4/2024, 11:39 am

Saturday Funday! Home and back at the St. Louis Hawken build. Sights arrived from Muzzleloader Builders Supply - Thank you Ryan! Johnson Peep rear sight and a 0.40 front blade sight. Took Hanshi's advice and filed the sight and not the barrel dovetail. Took my time and got it close. Of course on the final filing/adjustment I went a tad too far. Glad I ordered two front sights. Guess I needed the practice! After the front sight, I tackled shortening the the sight bolts that came with the plastic sights. I found a You Tube video - American Gunsmithing Institute - chucked the screw in my cordless drill, shortened it on a 1" belt sander by 1/8" and beveled the threads and......................IT WORKED!

Mounted the sights and took a few pics before disassembly the gun in preparation for final metal sanding and blueing later today or tomorrow!

Note - I have aging eyes and decided to try using a peep sight mounted where the Traditions kit plastic sights mount via screws to tapped threads in the barrel. I will paint the front blade with a bright white paint. I bought the large peep insert however I think I will use the Johnson Peep as a Ghost ring. It looks right to my eyes so I guess i will go with it. Once I get on a range and/or in the woods and practice I will use both and see what works best for hunting.

Pics follow:
Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  Johnso10
Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  Johnso11
Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  Dry_fi11

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 6/4/2024, 11:40 am

Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  Front_10

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 6/4/2024, 11:44 am

Beveled the triggers slightly with a dremel tool. Small detail but it definitely feels better!
Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  Trigge10

Jcast

uffda and Mustang65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontierGander 6/4/2024, 1:01 pm

Looking good!!
FrontierGander
FrontierGander
Admin

https://bs-bp.forumotion.com

uffda, Mustang65 and Jcast like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by uffda 6/4/2024, 2:16 pm

Looks great.
uffda
uffda

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 6/4/2024, 2:56 pm

Jonathon & Uffda thank you for the guidance and encouragement! I appreciate it gentlemen!

Jcast

Jcast

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Hawk 6/4/2024, 4:48 pm

Jcast wrote:Have to cut screws down and file the tenon on the blade sight as its wider than the dovetail.

Yeah, the European dovetails are smaller than the American 3/8" and it's a common problem with the imports.  Good on you to file the sight base and not the barrel!  I see from your next post that you filed too much.  That can often be remedied by taking a center punch and hammer and stippling the underside of the tenon, if it's just a loose fit.  Of course JB Weld can come to the rescue also....

It is looking good! I'm waiting with baited breath Razz to see the finished rifle.

Winter Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next