Buckskins & Black Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build

+2
Mustang65
FrontierGander
6 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 3 Empty Re: Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build

Post by Hanshi 23/4/2024, 11:11 am

I'll have to remember your success with Evapo-Rust. WOW!
Hanshi
Hanshi

Mustang65 and Jcast like this post

Back to top Go down

Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build  - Page 3 Empty Re: Traditions St. Louis Hawken Build

Post by FrontierGander 23/4/2024, 11:15 am

Yep just keep the bore cleaned and oiled well! Traditions do tend to rust fairly easily until you burnish it by shooting it nice and smooth. I prefer warm soapy water for my cleaning, dry the bore then follow up with 91% rubbing alcohol.

I've gone as far as scrubbing the bore with baking soda/water mix to neutralize rust before final cleaning/oiling.
FrontierGander
FrontierGander
Admin

https://bs-bp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanshi 23/4/2024, 11:29 am

I use water with maybe a drop of Dawn. WD40 and denatured alcohol finish the dry up. Then I apply either Barricade or BreakFree CLP. They get checked on periodically.
Hanshi
Hanshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Hawk 25/4/2024, 6:05 pm

If you want to do a nice bluing, get the Laurel Mountain Forge degreaser/browning solution.  The instructions tell how to use it to blue a barrel, and other parts.  I used that on my Hodgepodge rifle and it came out very well, better than I have ever gotten with the various cold bluing solutions out there.  In my experience it gives a tougher finish to the metal also.  And of course you can just brown the parts.  I can see three rifles, one with gray metal, one with blue and one with brown, just so the girls can tell them apart!

~Kees~

Winter Hawk

Hanshi, Mustang65 and Jcast like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcast 26/4/2024, 3:57 pm

I like the 3 different barrel color/bluing idea. I ordered a Traditions Mountain Rifle Kit this morning! Will take my time and work on improving my skills. Thanks for the recommendation on the Laurel Mountain browning solution.

Jcast

Jcast

Mustang65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3